Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

a question about protein intake

kingslender

I'm on a proein supplement from which I get about 25
grams of protein a pop. I usually take 2-4 of these a day,
combined with a high protein food diet.
My question is this: I've heard that there is a limit to the
amount of protein the body can digest at once (usually
i'm told about 25-40g at a time).
If everything above this is a waste, then what is the deal
with Geogre's triple threat, which claims 60g a serving?
has anyone tried triple threat of another sup with
such huge protein levels?
Im curious to see whether triple threat would really be more
effective than my standard issue GNC stuff.
comments?
thanks

the "limit protein" is still an open debate and
even if there is a max amount you could ingest at a time it is certainly more than 25-40g

...but keep in mind that ANY calories above maintenance will lead to weight gain - regardless of what maconutrient they come from....

I do not know of any limit to how much protein an idividual can ABSORB, but there is definitelty a limit to how much an individual and use AS PROTIEN. In other words, protein absorption (from the stomach and intestines) is pretty high. People eating lots of calories and lots of fiber may reduce the %protein absorbed, but they will still absorb 80-90% of the protein (and fat and carbs) eaten. What IS controversial and variable is the amount of protein you body can use AS PROTEIN in one sitting, or even in one day. Excess protein will be converted to glucose fuel,stored as fat, or excreted. So most of the protien you eat will contribute calories to your diet, but only so much will contribute to anabolism and this depends on your gender, age, macronutrient aand vitamin intake, training stimulus, AAS use and around 100 other variables. Your ability to assimilate and use protein also seems to change with your eating habits. If you go one day from a low protein/high carb diet to a high protein/low carb diet the next day, your body may not have had time to adapt 100%. But if you stick to a particular diet for a while, your body becomes much more efficient at using whatever calories and macronutrients it has available.

There is such a thing as a protein limit, but there are so many factors contributing to this, that a set number of g per serving is almost impossible to get. Your metabolism, age, gender, rate of protein uptake, time of the day ect.. all play a part. Depending on what you take it with, can also impact how much protein can be absorbed. Take whey (WPC) in water and you may get 25-30g, use milk for a higher rate, taken after workouts adds even more absorption, add more carbs higher yet, with steroids a much higher rate protein synthesis. Also remember that some proteins have different digestion rates on there own such as Hydrolyzed (15min), Whey (30min), Casein (2-3h) .. blends are preferable as they combine different protein digestion times which give your body a steady flow of nutrients after the meal/shake.

There has never been a study done on the amount of protein your body will absorb in one feeding, anyone quoting numbers is blowing smoke.

Top Bottom