Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question about evening workouts

Elb

Yet another question for the gods of nutrition out there, I warn you its on the long side. :)

I usually workout in the evenings around 7pm or so to about 8pm.

Some stats: 5'7", 182 lbs., 29 yrs old, male. I'm just getting back into the swing after 5 years off. At my best I weighed about 165 lbs and lean, when I was heavily into BB.

So I want to drop about 15 lbs and gain back all that muscle i've lost. So my question.

I'm trying to cut/eliminate carbs after 5 pm, but i've read that post workout I need some quick carbs so my body doesnt use protein for fuel. Then about 2 hours later to eat a regular meal.

What i've been doing is having an apple or something equivalent after my workout, then about an hour later having a chicken+salad meal. Then about an hour after that, having a protein shake(25 g protein/3 g carbs/110 cals) before bed.

I've calculated my BMR=1847 and my AMR= about 2900.

Heres my meals in case its relevant:

Meal 1 (7:30am): 1/2 cup oats + protein shake (25 g protein, 3 g carbs, 110 cals)
Meal 2(10:30am): tuna sandwich(1 can) on reduced cal whole wheat
Meal 3(1:30pm): turkey sandwich on same
Meal 4(5:30pm): 1 chicken breast + veggies
Meal 5(9:00pm): chicken caesar salad (just 1 baked chicken breast+romaine lettuce), reduced cal dressing
meal 6(10:30pm): protein shake

Problem1: Im trying to limit carbs after 5pm, so my 9pm meal (post workout) has no carbs, but I dunno if thats good. This is then followed up about an hour later with a protein shake.

Problem 2: my BMR is 1847 and im eating 1675 cals. That too low? I dont wanna slow my metabolism.

Totals: 1675 cals 37 fat 112 carbs 234 protein.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading if you've read this far :)

Elb

This should be good for starters. Start out at about 500 cals below your AMR on training days and eat your BMR on non traing days.

As far as post workout carbs at nite, your body uses these carbs to replace glycogen pretty fast. Post workout should not be a problem no matter what the time. The problem with late carbs (if you dont workout at nite) is that your body don't need that much glycogen nor are you burning that much carbs for energy when you sleep. Less glucose in the blood to burn means that you use fat for fuel. At least this is what I have come to understand from reading on this board.:cool:

if you didnt eat anything for 3-4 hrs before your workout wouldnt that be like working out first thing in the morning? youd still be digesting but that would be pretty good for fat burning wouldn't it?
i like to workout in the morning but its hard to get my ass up. i still sometimes workout at night and used to have many intense hockey practices late at night. don't you sometimes have a hard time sleeping at night though?

The first week or so of evening workouts I did have trouble falling asleep and when I did it wasn't much of a quality sleep.

I think what happened was I just got so damn tired from sleeping so crappily that now im able to fall asleep right away. :sleeping:

So I guess it worked out...i think.. :)

Don't worry about taking in A FEW carbs before bed for two reasons:
1) believe it or not, you do need some simple carbs during sleep, in order to properly repair muscle.

2) 10g of carbs won't kill you or make a real difference anyway

Top Bottom