Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Qnexa diet drug with phentermine & topamax - topiramate - for weight loss

Lao Tzu

There is a new drug in phase 2 trials called Qnexa, which is just a combination of the off patent drugs phentermine & topamax. They've found that combining the 2 drugs results in far more weight loss than either alone (both are used on and off label as obesity treatments).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=43246

Qnexa treatment group experienced 10% or more total body weight loss during the 24-week study period. Mean weight loss on an intent-to-treat (ITT) basis in the Qnexa group was 25.1 lbs., compared to 4.8 lbs in the placebo group (p<0.0001). Importantly, the rate of weight loss for patients in the Qnexa group had not plateaued by the end of the study. Qnexa was well-tolerated with a study completion rate of 92% versus a completion rate of 62% for the placebo group

-- Qnexa achieved significantly greater weight loss as compared to placebo and each of the active single-agent control groups. Moreover, the proportion of patients achieving 10% or more total body weight loss with Qnexa was greater than the sum of both active comparator agents.

-- Qnexa achieved a placebo-adjusted weight loss of 20.3 pounds at week 24.

-- Weight loss with Qnexa had not plateaued by 24 weeks as has been observed with other obesity therapeutics in development.

-- Qnexa was well-tolerated as evidenced by the fact that only four patients (8%) dropped out of the Qnexa study arm, versus 19 patients (38%) on placebo.

This looks pretty interesting. Who wants to be a guinea pig and go buy the drugs from mexico and write us all up a 24 week report?

re: Qnexa diet drug with phentermine & topamax - topiramate - for weight loss

People really should consider combining two other things instead of these drugs - diet with exercise. What the study fails to mention is that without permanent changes to eating habits or adding physical activity these people likely regained all of the weight - plus more - when they stop using the drug.

20ss02 said:
People really should consider combining two other things instead of these drugs - diet with exercise. What the study fails to mention is that without permanent changes to eating habits or adding physical activity these people likely regained all of the weight - plus more - when they stop using the drug.

I don't agree. Violating billions of years of evolution is pretty difficult for most people, and diet & exercise alone have a horrible failure rate. They are up there with abstinence only education as one of the least successful medical interventions ever. Talking about the evils of diet drugs when diet & exercise alone will work for obesity is like talking about the evils of condoms when abstinence alone will work for STDs. It sounds great on paper but doesn't work in reality very well. We have a horrible failure rate at addressing STDs when people took the politically comfortable, but unworkable 'abstinence until marriage' approach to them. It took a while for the medical community to come around and change direction, but they eventually did.

And nobody wrote anything about weight regain. So there is no telling if the people regained the weight or not, or if they were going to do so.

Hadn't heard of it and I'm sure they are always experimenting w/ drugs & drug combinations for weight loss. I didn't know anything about topomax so here's some info:

http://psyweb.com/Drughtm/jsp/topomax.jsp

Phentermine is just sort of like prescription speed. I would think there's some rough sides w/ this combination of stuff as far as feeling cracked out, increased heart rate, etc.

I agree w/ you that people are lazy ass mutherfuckers about respecting their bodies and not controlling their behavior and I feel like its total copout to feel like you have to rely on drugs as the only viable solution. The two caveats are that you can rarely take something and expect ONLY the selective results you want - there's always a cost to things you throw in your body to artificially regulate how it operates. And because of that ignorate supposition that everythign is safe and if it doesnt' turn out the way you want, you can sue someone, it doesn't always become as nice a solution as you hoped. Also what does happen when you come off this stuff? Your body reflects your lifestyle. If you go thru a big push to drop weight and then go back to your previously lifestyle, not only have you beat the shit out of your body by putting it under the stress of this rapid, drug-induced weight loss but you are further doing nothing to enable to move to operate more efficiently when you go back to the shitty lifestyle that got you there in the first place.

Even if you don't like it, this country has politically corrected itself into enabling non-self-responsibility and become the fattest group of people on the planet. Quicky drugs will never fix that if they don't address the behavioral aspects of their lives. Period.

Lao Tzu said:
I don't agree. Violating billions of years of evolution is pretty difficult for most people, and diet & exercise alone have a horrible failure rate. They are up there with abstinence only education as one of the least successful medical interventions ever. Talking about the evils of diet drugs when diet & exercise alone will work for obesity is like talking about the evils of condoms when abstinence alone will work for STDs. It sounds great on paper but doesn't work in reality very well. We have a horrible failure rate at addressing STDs when people took the politically comfortable, but unworkable 'abstinence until marriage' approach to them. It took a while for the medical community to come around and change direction, but they eventually did.

And nobody wrote anything about weight regain. So there is no telling if the people regained the weight or not, or if they were going to do so.

Diet and exercise have a "horrible failure rate" so drugs are the answer? :rolleyes:

WTF does any of this have to do with STD's? This may be the worst analogy ever.

Are you on drugs?

Sassy69 said:
Hadn't heard of it and I'm sure they are always experimenting w/ drugs & drug combinations for weight loss. I didn't know anything about topomax so here's some info:

http://psyweb.com/Drughtm/jsp/topomax.jsp

Without checking that URL I can tell you what I know about the drug because I literally hear about that pill five times a day if once.

It's an antiseizure medication, first and foremost. The second most common use in prophylactic treatment of chronic daily headaches or more specifically frequent migraines. It has two very major side effects that, while not common, can be pretty unpleasant: a 1% to 2% chance of kidney stones and a 1 in 40,000 incidence of glaucoma.

There are also some "weird" side effects that I've heard about that aren't so rare, I would say a good 10% or so of patients who go on it have what is politely termed "cognitive difficulties" (they can't think straight or they feel fuzzy headed). They either have to ramp the medication down to a point that it is usually less effective or discontinue it altogether.

And then there is the rare soul that has to go off it because they've lost TOO much weight.

... and for anybody who is asking, yes, once ANYBODY goes off Topamax they usually gain all the weight back they've lost.

musclemom said:
Without checking that URL I can tell you what I know about the drug because I literally hear about that pill five times a day if once.

It's an antiseizure medication, first and foremost. The second most common use in prophylactic treatment of chronic daily headaches or more specifically frequent migraines. It has two very major side effects that, while not common, can be pretty unpleasant: a 1% to 2% chance of kidney stones and a 1 in 40,000 incidence of glaucoma.

There are also some "weird" side effects that I've heard about that aren't so rare, I would say a good 10% or so of patients who go on it have what is politely termed "cognitive difficulties" (they can't think straight or they feel fuzzy headed). They either have to ramp the medication down to a point that it is usually less effective or discontinue it altogether.

And then there is the rare soul that has to go off it because they've lost TOO much weight.

... and for anybody who is asking, yes, once ANYBODY goes off Topamax they usually gain all the weight back they've lost.

K to you for an excellent reply.

This really isn't rocket science. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose fat. People need to stop this ridiculous search for the easy way out of everything. They didn't get fat in a week, so the problem can't be cured that quickly. It needs to be a lifestyle change. Put the cookie box down, step away from the butter and stop stuffing yourself with garbage.

topamax.....i think i ust to be on that as an antiphycotic

Pretty much what I was saying - there's nothing for free. And you can't force your body to be a certain way if your lifestyle doesn't support that.

Period.

Sassy69 said:
Pretty much what I was saying - there's nothing for free. And you can't force your body to be a certain way if your lifestyle doesn't support that.

Period.

K for your input, too - great info.

I can bash these people, because I used to be one of them. I was a fat kid until I got off my ass and changed my lifestyle. I've always been a lifter, but I was a fat lifter. I started this year at 286 pounds. Now I'm a lean 228 pursuing a totally ripped 210ish.

Top Bottom