Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

protein vs. carbs pre-workout?***study****

been doing a bit of research as i've rearranged my diet a bit. i thought i'd share some interesting stuff as i come across em.

fasted or near fasted training session may increase muscle growth, there is increased anabolic activity post-workout because of catabolism that occurs during fasted state training.

SpringerLink - Journal Article

so i guess ideally, in reference to the studies.

one would ingest whey and i think some bcaa pre-workout for optimal benefits.

i personally find it best to work out starting about 1/2 hour after a normal meal minus half the fat. so something like 10oz chicken, cup of oats, 1/4 cup white rice and a glass of milk is what i do. nothing really special. post w/o is where all the sups come in for me.

first study

PURPOSE:: To determine if protein supplementation (PRO) prior to an acute bout of heavy resistance training (HRT) would influence post-exercise resting energy expenditure (REE) and the non-protein respiratory exchange ratio (RER). Hypothesis: REE would be increased and RER would be decreased up to 48 hours following timed PRO and HRT compared to carbohydrate supplementation (CHO) and HRT. METHODS:: Eight resistance-trained subjects (5M, 3W) participated in a double-blind, two trial crossover design, where REE and RER were measured (7:00am) on four consecutive days. On the second day of trial one, subjects consumed 376 KJ of either PRO (18g whey protein, 2g carbohydrate, 1.5g fat) or CHO (1g whey protein, 19g carbohydrate, 1g fat) 20 minutes prior to a single bout of HRT (9 exercises, 4 sets, 70-75% 1RM). REE and RER were measured 24 and 48 hours post-HRT. During trial two, the same protocol was followed except subjects consumed the second supplement prior to HRT. RESULTS:: Compared with baseline, REE was elevated significantly in both CHO and PRO at 24 and 48 hours post-HRT (p < 0.05). At 24 hours post-HRT, REE in response to PRO was significantly greater compared to CHO (p < 0.05). RER decreased significantly in both CHO and PRO at 24 hours post-HRT compared to baseline (p < 0.05). No differences were observed in total energy intake, macronutrient intake, or HRT volume (p > 0.05). CONCLUSION:: Timing PRO prior to HRT may be a simple and effective strategy to increase energy expenditure by elevating REE the day after HRT. Increasing REE could facilitate reductions in body fat mass and improve body composition if nutritional intake is stable.

protein shake before workout is simple trick to increase energy and improve body composition, reduce fat.

second study

fasted or near fasted training session may increase muscle growth, there is increased anabolic activity post-workout because of catabolism that occurs during fasted state training.

SpringerLink - Journal Article

Also, on the second study...Catabolism before workout then increased anabolism after workout..wouldn't the anabolism have to play catch up because your body was already catabolizing? Pretty interesting nonetheless.

so the second study cancels out the first study? what?

pretty much. but the second study states that prior fasting may stimulate the intramyocellular anabolic response to ingestion of a carbohydrate/protein/leucine mixture following a heavy resistance training session. i'm thinking ingesting whey mention in the first study wont disturb this process too much b/c it is considered a "fast acting" protein and within 20-40 minutes, the level of amino acids in your blood has reached its high point(maybe you already even burned all the cals from the whey by this point) and will have gone through the various metabolic processes so you pretty much on fasted state again but reaping benefits of first study and second study.idk
adding some bcaa with do a good job of protecting muscle i think.

Also, on the second study...Catabolism before workout then increased anabolism after workout..wouldn't the anabolism have to play catch up because your body was already catabolizing? Pretty interesting nonetheless.

i was thinking that too. i'd love for them to do some studies with bcaa too to see if it has any major effect.

Top Bottom