x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Protein Shakes Vs Protein Food

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Protein Shakes Vs Protein Food within the Diet & Bodybuilding category.

Excerpt: Which is better and why. I read on another board that protein in food is better why? Isn't protein protein?

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Da Pope
    Which is better and why. I read on another board that protein in food is better why? Isn't protein protein?

Mr.X
    you see protein from 'real' food is not broken down into energy by the body as much or as fast (or as frequent)
    Whey protein (the protein most frequently used in protein shakes) , when consumed is broken down in the liver into a Carbon, and Amino Acids (which are later -if not needed- are broken down into Amonia and secreted through urine -as Urea-) now let's track back a little, CARBON (looks like carbohydtrates) well actually it can be used as a form of energy and if not used can be stored as fat... Whey usually causes this effect and also let's the body learn to use 'protein' = muscle as fuel =BAD
    now real food (chicken, steak etc) usually doesn't get stored and broken down as fast nor used for energy as fast / or for some people never
    My 2cents
    Mr.X

Good Bro
    That was a good post.

I'm just waking up to the fact of realizing that while trying to gain mass I should be eating 5-6 meals of whole food per day as a foundation. if I want to throw protein shakes in, I will have them in addition to these staples.

riskybiz007
    Protein shakes in my opinion should only be used after a work out, and used with a lot of carbs so you don't use the whey as an immediate source of energy.

Good Broly
    Which is better and why? The quick answer is whole food, we've been eating it since the beginning of time.

Now, for a bodybuilder, both are necessary. Overall, you want to eat clean whole food. I'm not going to get into what's clean and what isn't. At other times, you're much better off with liquid nutrition, such as immediately after your workout or upon waking up. These are the two times of the day I always, always, always have liquid nutrition. I want the fast absorption and ease of prepartation. When you've been sleeping all night and wake up, you want those nutrients in your body ASAP. Hence, my morning oatmeal and protein breakfast. Post workout is for obvious reasons. I have my postworkout drink immediatley after working out (combination of CFM whey, hydrolyzed whey, dextrose and maltodextrin) and have a solid food meal an hour or so afterwards when I'm hungry again.
    Think convenience and efficiency when it comes to protein from either source.