Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

protein shake right after work out

jaypit

How do you take your protein shake guys? right after your last set so you bring it with you to the gym, or wait like half an hour when you get home and drink it?

drinking shakes after your workout is a scam invented by the supplement companies but it is derived from the myth that you have some sort of 'window' after a workout where you should drink protein shakes lol

the myth comes from pro's who use insulin post workout and need a dex shake to prevent hypo. it isn't some magic way to build muscle

i workout, come home and prepare a well balanced meal. I do not even drink shakes

i always laugh at the skinny guys who run to the juice bar at the gym yelling 'protein! protein! they think if they don't drink protein right away their entire workout was wasted

If eating a meal works then so does a shake. Tissue repair and recovery will be important with food or protein powder.

That said I've debated this elsewhere and said it makes a small difference rather than a big one. Now if you train for a bloody long time all those small differences add up.

Today, I had a shake AND a meal - go me ha ha. The gym sells Thai meals and one had to be eaten today so... free food is free food!

If I know that I will have the chance to have a meal after working out, I just get home, and have a proper meal. On the other hand, if I know that there will be no meal soon after working out, I get my protein shake which I store in the locker room, and drink upon coming out of the gym.

I am like @lev butlerov. After my workout, I head to the locker room and pack up my gym bag. On my way out of the gym, I add water to my shaker bottle with the protein powder and drink it while I am driving home from the gym.

We have spoke about this on many podcast episodes. There is this crazy thinking that if you don't slam a shake right after your last rep then you will lose all your muscle. That is just not true. Now there is nothing wrong with having a shake after training but you can also just go home and eat. Both will be just fine.

Top Bottom