Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein shake before you sleep...is it good??

Bakumba

Some people say it isnt as digestions during sleep isnt good while other say its good cause thats when most of the muscle recovery takes place...
anyone can clarify this for me? I use whey protein powder (the type u should put on water, stir good and then drink).
Any advice appreciated

psychedout said:
Protien before bed is a great idea, most prefer slow digesting protien, like tuna or cottage cheese, rather than whey though.

So is it a no-no for me to take my whey before i go to sleep?

No totally a no-no - but whey is digested very quickly and the point of protein before bed is to give your muscles something to "eat" while you are sleeping so it doesn't catabolize itself.

Mix some fat with your whey shake, or add a little milk, cottage cheese....there are some "mixed" protein shakes you can buy to drink only at night. A mixture of whey, casesin, egg proteins.

Whey is ok, but the above forms may work better as they will be absorbed slower and provide benifit over a longer period of time, whereas whey has been shown to be processed very quickly by the body/digestive system

I agree totally with the posts above: get some solid in food before bed. I usually will take some eggs, pb and sometimes whey. I also throw chicken and flax into the mix.

if you have to use the whey before bed i say go for it. also depends on how much sleep ur getting, im stuck in high school so i only get 6 hours :/ my whey with a little pb and milk isn't completely digested for as long before i wake up and replenish

Casein would be better than whey

and real food (cottage cheese, tuna,...) would even be better

Top Bottom