Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein Misconceptions

2Thick

Elite Mentor
Platinum
I will be writing an article on this matter but here are a few quick points:

-The maximum amount of protein any human being should use is 1 gram per pound. Countless scientific studies have proven that anything above that will not yield any benefit (and in fact will harm your kidneys).

-Plant protein is superior to animal protein. In specific, red meat should be your last choice for protein. AT least half of your protein should come from plants. The rest should come mainly from poultry and fish. A little red meat should make up the rest.

-No more than 25% of protein should come from protein shakes. Although the your body absorbs it at a relatively similar rate to food protein, the nutritional density of food will be far more beneficial in gaining quality lean body mass.

-Take care of your liver. It is the workhorse of your body and is responsible for leading healthy growth.

2Thick said:
-Plant protein is superior to animal protein. In specific, red meat should be your last choice for protein. AT least half of your protein should come from plants. The rest should come mainly from poultry and fish. A little red meat should make up the rest.

What plants are you talking about?

Thx.

-sk

Re: Re: Protein Misconceptions

sk* said:

What plants are you talking about?

Thx.

-sk

Legumes (beans) should be an optimal choice. Dark leafy vegetables like broccoli are also a great source of protein.

Anything whole wheat and/or whole germ is a great source.

If you can eat it, tofu is packed full of protein. And some tofu burgers and tofu hot dogs taste just like meat.

2Thick, yep.. I'd love to read the article.. but I do agree with almost all your points.

I think most bodybuilders use WAY too much protein, personally I try to get around 1/2g of protein per day.. thought I don't really keep track.. but it's never less then 1/2g of protein per day and never more then 1g per pound.

only reason I can see to consume possibly more then 1g per pound is if you do roids and insulin together :X

and perhaps people with incredible fast metabolisms should consume more....

Re: Re: Re: Protein Misconceptions

2Thick said:

Legumes (beans) should be an optimal choice. Dark leafy vegetables like broccoli are also a great source of protein.

Anything whole wheat and/or whole germ is a great source.

If you can eat it, tofu is packed full of protein. And some tofu burgers and tofu hot dogs taste just like meat.

Thing is, you would need so much beans or brocolli to equal the protein amounts in a steak. So even if what you say is true, a lot of times it isn't plausable.

Out of curiousity, why do you consider red meat an inferior protein to beans?

-sk

Also Broccoli does not have all of the essential AAs....do you mean it would be better to eat complimentary meals or just legumes by themselves?

Little Rage said:
broccoli?

1cup of raw broccoli has approx. 2-2.5g of protein...

One medium stalk has approx 6 grams. Plus it has fiber, minerals, vitamins and phytochemicals.

Most red meat with the same proein density (3-6g) has little if any of what broccoli has in terms of other nutrients.

Protein may be the main building block of muscle, but protein is nothing without minerals and vitamins that provide the support and fuel that allows protein sythesis to occur.

I try to combine different sources of protein.. from grains, peas, beans and nuts...

like I may have some pea's with rice and lentils and a soy burger or soy milk...

anyway I think combining different sources gives a better range of amino acids then appose to eating strictly a large amount of one source of protein.

Paulos said:
Also Broccoli does not have all of the essential AAs....do you mean it would be better to eat complimentary meals or just legumes by themselves?

I am trying to point out that animal protein is not the best source of protein. It is only the easiest to get (and usually the most dense in protein).

For example, having 2 ounces of steak with 2 cups of broccoli instead of 3 ounces of steak and some useless white rice will get you further in the long run (in terms of weight training and overall long-term health)

Top Bottom