Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein Misconceptions

JKerry said:
"to make proteins, a cell must have all the needed amin oacids available simultaneously. the liver can produce any nonessential aa's that may be in short supply so that the cells can continue linking aa's into protein strands. if an essential aa is missing, though, a cell must dismantle its own proteins to obtain it..."

"a complete dietary protein contains all the essential aa's in relatively the same amounts as human beings require; it may or may not contain all the nonessential aas. generally, proteins derived from animals are complete, although gelatin is an exception (lacks trytophan). proteins from plants have more diverse aa patterns, and some tend to be limiting in one or more essential aas. som plant proteins are notoriously incomplete..."

in general, plant proteins are of lower quality than animal proteins, and plants also offer less protein per unit (weight or measure) of food. for this reason, many vegetarians combine plant protein foods with different but complementary aa patterns to obtain a full array of essential aa's.

reference protein: one of the most complete and digestible proteins is egg protein... and assigned a value of 100. qualities of other proteins were determined based on how they compare to eggs.

measures of protein quality can be determined according to:

amino acid scoring, biological value (more nitrogen retained=higher value), net protein utilization, protein efficiency ration and PDCAAS (protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score)

i don't have the time to explain them all

nutrition can be such a complex issue that one can not make vague generalizations about protein sources without taking alot of info into account.

kerry

What is your point?

I did not tell you to choose one over the other. If you have taken the time to read, you might have gleaned my real point. The point is to make sure half of your protein comes from plant sources (and to choose poultry and fish over red meat).

Try to read and comprehend before flying off the handle.

Debaser said:
You'd think for such an important subject in regards to bodybuilding (nutrition) there would be ONE STUDY validating the 1 g/lb rule on the internet. I have yet to see it.

Strength-trained athletes huh? Show me a test for hardcore bodybuilders, under intense training sessions, pushing lots of weight around, and then show me that any protein over 1 g/lb has no effect on gains/recovery. Not some study regarding gymnasts or rock climbers.

Why would a scientific journal post its articles for free on the internet?

You do have these things called 'legs' that can get you to something called a 'library' where you can do something called 'research.'

Until then, pipe down in the peanut gallery.

You'd think for such an important subject in regards to bodybuilding (nutrition) there would be ONE STUDY validating the 1 g/lb rule on the internet. I have yet to see it.

Strength-trained athletes huh? Show me a test for hardcore bodybuilders, under intense training sessions, pushing lots of weight around, and then show me that any protein over 1 g/lb has no effect on gains/recovery. Not some study regarding gymnasts or rock climbers.

These studies are hard to find on the internet, but DC has said the following...

"Data from Tarnpolosky with European athletes shows that massive protein intakes of up to 3.5 g/kg further increase lean mass gains. In the early 1970’s, a study of weightlifters showed that these athletes needed at least 2.2 gr/kg. Two decades later Russian research demonstrated better muscle increases with 4.2 gr/kg.

Tarnpolosky trained with natural and sauced athletes and noted that every athlete was gaining at advanced rates from the higher figures than the lower 1.8 or so---Dehydration is the main culprit people must watch out for on high protein diets but anyone who is a bodybuilder who is drinking less than a gallon a day is cheating himself already "

Debaser said:
These studies are hard to find on the internet, but DC has said the following...

"Data from Tarnpolosky with European athletes shows that massive protein intakes of up to 3.5 g/kg further increase lean mass gains. In the early 1970’s, a study of weightlifters showed that these athletes needed at least 2.2 gr/kg. Two decades later Russian research demonstrated better muscle increases with 4.2 gr/kg.

Tarnpolosky trained with natural and sauced athletes and noted that every athlete was gaining at advanced rates from the higher figures than the lower 1.8 or so---Dehydration is the main culprit people must watch out for on high protein diets but anyone who is a bodybuilder who is drinking less than a gallon a day is cheating himself already "

This is not the correct article. The study that I posted by the same author has two groups (one control) with 3 levels of protein intake (low, medium, high; 0.86, 1.4 & 2.4 g/kg respectively).

As you can see the high group has 2.4g/kg (a little over 1g/ pound) and not the numbers you quoted.

Nelson Montana said:
Basically I made a post that in no way disparaged 2 Thick, but I did resent evidence to he contrary of what he was sayng. I'm not going to repeat myself because it was very involved. It included the bioavalability of non animal protein soureces and the negitive effects on thyroid fuction from brocolli and estrogenic effects of tofu. In other words, it blew everything he said out of the water and he obviously didn't like that.

I will say this; If this is going to be the new trend at EF, it won't be long before I am outta here. This is bulls**t.

You should read before posting. It only reduces you further.

You are arguing something totally different.

If the trend you are talking about is respect then you better get used to it.

Basically I made a post that in no way disparaged 2 Thick, but I did resent evidence to he contrary of what he was sayng. I'm not going to repeat myself because it was very involved. It included the bioavalability of non animal protein soureces and the negitive effects on thyroid fuction from brocolli and estrogenic effects of tofu. In other words, it blew everything he said out of the water and he obviously didn't like that.

I will say this; If this is going to be the new trend at EF, it won't be long before I am outta here. This is bulls**t.

DocJ said:
2Thick when the hell did you move to Germany?
How do you like it there? (sorry off topic)

I lived there for a few years. It is an amazing country. I lived in Bavaria and have not seen any other place that compares to its culture and natural beauty.

Top Bottom