Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein Misconceptions

2thick, (Cartman voice): "Ya damn hippy!""
lol

no, i agree and concur with 2thick.

much of protein digestion needs a co-factor or co-enzyme for proper absorption of all these "essential AA's"

what is a co-factor or co enzyme? many of the minerals and vitamins found in plants/veggies/etc.

I'd like to see Nelson's opinion on this... it sucks that since the person starting the post was a MOD all of a sudden the rules change.

Lestat said:
I'd like to see Nelson's opinion on this... it sucks that since the person starting the post was a MOD all of a sudden the rules change.

They certainly do change.

If you do not give respect you do not get respect.

If you cannot understand that then I cannot help you.

let's say i'm a mod and i write something. someone decides to disagree with me, albeit in a sarcastice manner... i think i'd allow another mod to edit that post instead of doing it myself. just doesnt' seem legit...

kerry

JKerry said:
let's say i'm a mod and i write something. someone decides to disagree with me, albeit in a sarcastice manner... i think i'd allow another mod to edit that post instead of doing it myself. just doesnt' seem legit...

kerry

Why is it that people who have less than 50 posts, like you, all of a sudden think that your opinion matters?

"to make proteins, a cell must have all the needed amin oacids available simultaneously. the liver can produce any nonessential aa's that may be in short supply so that the cells can continue linking aa's into protein strands. if an essential aa is missing, though, a cell must dismantle its own proteins to obtain it..."

"a complete dietary protein contains all the essential aa's in relatively the same amounts as human beings require; it may or may not contain all the nonessential aas. generally, proteins derived from animals are complete, although gelatin is an exception (lacks trytophan). proteins from plants have more diverse aa patterns, and some tend to be limiting in one or more essential aas. som plant proteins are notoriously incomplete..."

in general, plant proteins are of lower quality than animal proteins, and plants also offer less protein per unit (weight or measure) of food. for this reason, many vegetarians combine plant protein foods with different but complementary aa patterns to obtain a full array of essential aa's.

reference protein: one of the most complete and digestible proteins is egg protein... and assigned a value of 100. qualities of other proteins were determined based on how they compare to eggs.

measures of protein quality can be determined according to:

amino acid scoring, biological value (more nitrogen retained=higher value), net protein utilization, protein efficiency ration and PDCAAS (protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score)

i don't have the time to explain them all

nutrition can be such a complex issue that one can not make vague generalizations about protein sources without taking alot of info into account.

kerry

Kaksback said:
2thick, (Cartman voice): "Ya damn hippy!""
lol

no, i agree and concur with 2thick.

much of protein digestion needs a co-factor or co-enzyme for proper absorption of all these "essential AA's"

what is a co-factor or co enzyme? many of the minerals and vitamins found in plants/veggies/etc.

arg!

His opinion matters as much to me as yours does 2thick. Doggcrapp is the most knowledgeable trainer I know of but does he have a lot of posts here? Hell no.

2Thick said:

Evaluation of protein requirements for strength trained athletes, Tarnopolsky et al, J App Physiol, Vol 73, pp1986-95

I'd like to see the actual article posted...

Top Bottom