Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein intake per serve

coasta007

Hi all. I've read a few conflicting statements about the serving of protein per meal.

I have read somewhere that consuming more than 28-30g of protein in one serving/meal is a waste because our bodies can only process that amount and any more you take goes to waste.

I asked a few guys and they state that theory has been de-bunked and you can have more protein per serve and your body can absorb it and make use of it.

I'm going to start carb cycling and on my low carb day I'll have 2 scoops of protein and 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast instead of one scoop of protein and 2 weetbix for breakfast.

What are your thoughts about this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

First and foremost, the amount of protein that your body requires depends on your overall weight. However, I would not dare to say that there is such a fixed limit to how much protein your body can process, and even if there is such, it is definitely not limited to just 28 grams per meal. So you will be fine, and eat as you plan.

my thoughts are that the whole protein thing is overblown by the supplement companies trying to sell you protein powders

you don't need all this fucking protein. guys on forums used to say you need 3X your bodyweight in grams. then it changes to 2X.. then 1.5X.. now it is down to 1X.. well i would argue it is even less than that.. do you need protein? yes .. but we already get enough protein in our american diets. what people are missing are sleep, minerals, and vitamins. THOSE are what you need more of!

Every food that goes in your body will eventually be processed, absorbed, and utilized. If this too much protein thing at once was true then in theory you could eat a large pizza and not get fat because your body "cant absorb" that much at once. Completely false.

Exactly. We're not that far removed from our hunter/gatherer primitive selves. That means if we could only absorb 20-30g we'd have starved to death and died out as a species a LONG time ago.

There IS an argument for what is the optimal amount at a time. There have been studies on this. Another issue, much argued and with HUGE variation between individuals, is transit time (how long a food takes to pass through) and how quickly we digest and absorb a food. This is why you'll see the stories of how long meat sits in the gut etc etc. Transit times, for example, can vary between a week and five minutes.

In the case of five minutes it's due to the person having serious stomach issues (like a surgical remove of a part of the intestine).

This whole 'your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein in a single sitting' thing is total bro science. Your body absorbs everything you eat. Your body can only utilize so much protein in a given period, but all the protein you eat will be absorbed. Some of that protein will just be converted into glucose and used as an energy source.

60g of protein in a single sitting is a good number to shoot for. If you eat 6 meals a day, 60g x 6 = 360g. For a 200 pound person, that would put him right at 1.5-2g of protein per pound of body weight which is perfect.

Top Bottom