Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein Experts... (need help on requirements)

Come on... you anabolic bros are the smartest. Huck? Fonz? Quads? Genarr? Lawnsaver? Ulter?

Big karma to each who help me out.

Why am I not on your list ? :)

Actually, the only time you need more than 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight is if:

you are Dieting
you are chemically assisted

Getting as much protein as you can is one thing but you need to get it from quality sources such as red meat, milk, chicken, tuna, turkey, fish...

BigAndy you are always on my "list" wink, wink.. (I was typing fast and just pulling those names that often argue with one another up)

Come on, we know more protein = more building blocks for muscle.

But is there anything to support this?

Anal AssPlorer said:
BigAndy you are always on my "list" wink, wink.. (I was typing fast and just pulling those names that often argue with one another up)

Come on, we know more protein = more building blocks for muscle.

But is there anything to support this?

Nothing but anectodal evidence supports it...the most protein I've seen used in a study was 1.28g per lb of BW(not sure of the exact number)...they were not studying protein synthesis but kidney damage.

They concluded that the body adapts to that much protein and it's not as bad for the kidneys as the medical community once thought.

I personally think the 2g/lb of body weight is a marketing scam by the supplement companies. I don't think Arnold was using that rule of thumb back in the days and he had an incredible physique. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Furthermore, the proof is in reality. I have friends that are nationally ranked powerlifters and they don't take in about 1g/lb/day and they are not only big, but very strong. And none of them had just amazing genetics to begin with.

Lastly, there are studies that show too much protein in the body is not only wasted, but it is toxic to the liver. I don't buy it, but if you need 2g/lb to grow then you do. Some need 1g of test/week to grow. Everyone's different. Take as little as you can to grow. It is simply safer.

Anal AssPlorer, I think your going to have to yield to your pal on this one. Like BigAndy said, you can find anectodal evidence supporting more than a gram per pound (which I believe is valid, as BigAndy said, for diet and steroid using athletes), but the current research say's that it's unneccessary.

even though you may not NEED over , say 1g per lb, it may be best to include more to round out your diet.

if youre eating 5000cal, you may eat well over 1g/lb just to get teh calories.

i think many peaple just add protien to their diet and think its the protien causeing the growth when actually they just needed more calories

Protein Super Feature
What You Need To Know About Protein and Growth
By John M Berardi

"..When consuming a high calorie diet, the excess of carbohydrates and fat tend to have a protein sparing effect. This leads to a lower requirement for protein intake of at least 1g/lb. There is some literature looking at high calorie diets with protein intakes of 1.6-1.8g/lb in Romanian weightlifters (12). This research showed that such high intakes might increase performance and muscle mass. So even on higher calorie diets, more protein may lead to more mass and strength. When total calories drop however, protein needs are increased due to the fact that the body may be oxidizing (burning) amino acids for energy in the absence of other carbs and fats (13)..."

12) Dragon, G.I. et al. Effect of increased supply of protein on elite weight-lifters. In: Milk Proteins. T.E. Galesloot and B.J. Tinbergen, eds. Wageningen, The Netherlands: Poduc. 1985. pp. 99-103.

"This research showed that such high intakes might increase performance and muscle mass."

Even so, this is just what Anal AssPlorer's looking for I'm sure.

Top Bottom