Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Progress stalled (is this normal?)

mcr

I have been dieting now for around 14 weeks and have had great results overall (dropping from estimated over 20% down to an 11.1% caliper reading). The last 3 weeks progress has completely stalled, and I have lost no weight, my measurements haven't changed and my bodyfat has remained the same. In fact, it looks like I'm retaining more water now, so don't look as good as 3 weeks ago.

Is it normal to stall like this on a cutting diet? Am I expecting too much to have some kind of progress each week?

I think my diet is sound, but would appreciate opinions. I do cardio 6 times a week for 30 mins each, low to medium intensity. I lift heavy westside style 4 times a week for around an hour each time.

6am - 50g oats, 2 scoops of whey in water
LIFT!
7:30 - 1 scoop of whey in water (pwo)
8am - Tin of tuna, 50g wholewheat pasta
11am - ANPB, whey, casein made into a bar
1pm - Large chicken breast, 40g brown rice, veggies
4pm - ANPB, whey, casein made into a bar
6:30 - CARDIO
7pm - Large salmon salad
10pm - Pro-peptide shake (micellar)
SLEEP!

I'm not really sure how I can improve this (or if I need to).

Basically all I'm asking is, is it normal on a cutting diet to have a phase of a few weeks without progress, especially as I'm still at a relatively high level of fat (well about 4% higher than I want to be anyway)?

I should also add: I am taking in around 2500 calories on work-out days, and 2000 on non-workout days.

I am 200lbs @ 6ft tall and have some endo tendencies - which is why I keep calories low (I seem to gain considerable weight fast on more than 2500 cals).

Should I go lower in calories? And if so, what do I cut out? I'm reluctant to reduce protein as that's keeping my strength up, and I struggle on less than 100g of carbs a day (so I really don't want to cut them), and if I eliminate the ANPB, there goes my fats completely!

Or should I just keep at it, and results will come again in time?

Thanks

Man, I hit this same exact wall. I managed to get down to about 8% but it was dreadfully slow.

I look forward to what others have to say, but basically I just kept on plugging away and increased my cardio.

I hope others have better advise for you because the way I did it definitely sucked.

-

Yes, this is completely normal for results to hault/slow down after a while. Aside from just sticking it out (which frustrates some people even more), try taking a week off of cutting (or even 3-4 days)...up the cals a little, still eat clean, and let your body re-feed, then go back to your cutting ways. Maybe even take a week to lighten the lifting/workout schedule to let your body relax/rest.

Reactions: mcr
Thanks. Glad to hear it's normal - that's the main thing :)

I think I will take this Saturday off from dieting, still keep cals about the same, but not quite as clean (maybe even include a small pizza). I think psychologically that will help me as I'm getting a little bummed out from eating the same stuff day in and day out and with not much to show from the last 3 weeks.

I will then go back on the diet for 2 weeks and see if things improve. If they don't in those 2 weeks, I will do as suggested and spend a week on slightly higher clean calories (probably 3000/day with the increase coming from low-gi carbs) without any cardio to let my body have a break.

yeh man, it is normal. Some people just need to change things up a bit. Maybe drop a few carbs and add some more healthy fats, or swap out cardio and lifting times.

Just stick with it and your body will adjust, just don't quit!

Just try changing up routines, etc...Do sprints for cardio and things of that nature.

Do you have a normal cheat day once a week or so to let yourself refeed and help maintain your sanity? That usually helps prevent hitting a wall.

FigureSkater said:
Do you have a normal cheat day once a week or so to let yourself refeed and help maintain your sanity? That usually helps prevent hitting a wall.

For the majority of the 14 weeks, no.

In total I had maybe 3 cheat meals during that time. The problem I have when having a cheat day is that I bloat badly and it takes around 4 days for the bloat to go. It's psychologically demoralising to me to be on a strict diet 6 days a week and still spend 3 or 4 of those days bloated. I'd rather spend 7 days strictly dieting and look/feel good all of that time.

Also, once I cheat I really struggle to get back onto a strict diet. This is why I have mostly avoided cheat days so far. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, or am taking in the wrong kind of cheat food (although I thought there wasn't a wrong kind of cheat food!).

What would be a typical cheat meal/day for you?

I know what you mean about struggling to get back on track after a cheat day.

But having a cheat meal is still important. I found that a cheat "window" (a 4 hour block every Saturday) helped me out. I started at 4pm, and as soon as the clock struck 8pm, I had to be done with the cheat. Having that cut off helped me avoid getting hammered at the bar on saturday night.

For my cheat window, anything went. Anytime during the week I found something I wanted to eat (snicker, garlic bread, ice cream) I'd buy it right then and there, put it in the fridge and as soon as the clock struck 4pm, I killed everything in the fridge.

Woe to the man sitting in front of me in the Taco Bell drive through line at 7:55pm!
-

Top Bottom