Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pregnant and wants to loose weight

35andfeel19

We just found out my Wife is Expecting. Woo Hooo!!!!

Now I (We) have a question. Over the past year and a half my wife has gained some weight. Approximately 30lbs. She was in a car accident and spent about two months not being able to do much of anything except sit and was quite a bit less active because of her injury (Back and Neck).

She is more active now and is wanting to loose this weight.

I'm setting up a routine for her that will include weight training (No Deadlifts or Squats for now) and walking (fast walking) 2 miles 3 times a week.

I'm also going to have her start eating 5 or six meals a day instead of the 2 she eats now (She NEVER eats breakfast).

Do any of you Ladies have any additional info or some incite you can offer her (US) as to how she can drop this additional weight without risking injury to the Baby (Fetus). No Diet suppliments (ECA etc) are being considered.

We will, of course, be consulting with her doctor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Take a look at the women's board for some posts by emmab on this subject. She should consult with her Dr. or midwife before doing any lifting--I think MS wrote about this.

Losing weight should wait until after she has the baby.

Thanks for the info Keiko

"Losing weight should wait until after she has the baby."

I just wanted to make it clear that we weren't planning on going on a reduced calorie diet or a carb free diet or any diet that will limit her or the babies nutritional needs.

For informations sake only, My first wife was overweight when she got pregnant. We had multiple occasions where she had to be rushed to the hospital because of blood pressure issues. It got so bad during her first pregnancy that the doctors decided to induce 3 weeks early instead of risking her continuing. She had the same blood pressure issues with our second child although he was delivered a week late.

Just wanted you to be aware of the risks associated with the extra weight she is carrying.

Your last statement was a little to generalized but I appreciate the info.

I'm beginning to doubt her ability to work out, even low intensity work outs, so I think we'll just stick to low impact aerobic. Translated (Walking)

what i have heard about this from pretty much all sources is you should never go on any kind of weight loss plan when you're pregnant because when you're pregnant you need even more calories than you would normally. apart from easy walking i think she should wait till after she has the baby. they say that if you're already working out when you get pregnant, it's fine to continue, but don't *start* an exercise regimen once you become pregnant.

you and your wife should ask the doctor's advice on this before taking any advice from us here on this board though!

Here is something I found in my quest for more info.

http://www.fitpregnancy.com

I tried to paste the whole link but it wasn't working. There is an article on working out while pregnant.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to add links to additional info when I come across it.

"you and your wife should ask the doctor's advice on this before taking any advice from us here on this board though! " That is a Given.

I was looking for info from women on the board who have been pregnant and continued some form of training and diet management.

I appreciate the words of caution, HOWEVER, I would appreciate just a teenie weenie bit of "The benefit of the doubt" when it comes to our level of intelligents.

Anyway, The quest for info continues. If anyone has something relevent to add......

Thanks In advance.

Last edited:
You'll have better luck re-posting on the Women's board. I went ahead and did the search that i suggested to you and came up with this excellent post:

w8liftinglady
Cool Novice

Ok-my experience as a mom of 3, a nurse for 17 years,and a weight lifter for 20.
1.keep up your cuurent level of fitness,don't increase it now.If you feel tired,rest.If
you have energy,work out.Don't push yourself now.
2.Lifts that require a lot of intra-abdominall pressure(i.e.-squats,leg
press,deads)-avoid.
3.after about the 6th month,your symphysis pubis(the cartilage that connects the
pelvis at the front) will open,making it easy to hurt yourself with even easy squats
and the like.Restrict yourself to machines for the lower bod after this point.
4.DON'T allow yourself to become too hot or dehydrated.This is the number one
reason we see women in premature labor.Drink plenty,and do moderate
cardio(treadmill,bike)
5.as your belly gets really big(like months 7,8,9)-eat a very very small meal,or
consume a protein shake before your workout.You don't want a full belly when you
are working out.
6.avoid laying flat on your back after about the 6th month.The pressure of the uterus
on the vena cava and aorta can restrict blood flow to the baby and you.you can shift
your weight as little as 20 degrees with a foam wedge and still do modified
crunches.(don't hold your breath)
I know this is long,but as long as everything is progressing normally,you can keep a
good level of fitness.Oxygen magazine had a wonderful issue on this very subject a
couple of months ago.You might try to get a copy.
Congrats!!

Thanks Keiko!!

That is exactly what I was looking for, :)

You da man...er.....broa......er......a damn fine lady. :)

Just kidding.

I REALLY do appreciate it.

I'll repost on the womens board too. I read few of the posts and some poor woman (Can't remember her Handle) got crucifed there. I was a little hesitant to post it there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom