Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

postworkout treat... i think

sweets

dextrose/maltodextrins

i keep reading that grape juice is a great choice for a post workout drinnk because it contains dextrose and maltodextrins. i've also read that simple + complex carbs would be another good choice. taking all of this into consideration, i came up with a little sumthin sumthin i'd like to share with the class. constructive criticism is very much welcomed, as always.

a.m. postworkout shake/ breakfast: (made it today for the first time and was pretty tasty. i think someone once said looks can be deceiving. uh huh ;) )

1/2 cup of multigrain oatmeal
3/4 cup of skim milk
1/2 banana
1 cup grape juice or 1/2 cup grape juice + 1/2 cup pineapple juice (yumm... pineapple... ahhh)
1 packet equal (optional- not really necessary, though)
+ protein (i just ran out, today)

ok, am i going overboard on the fruits??? sorry, i just love sweets (no pun, here). but i workout for 2 hours on empty in the morning. so then would that mean i can have my fruits for breakfast???? to be honest, i do want to lower my bf so pleeeeze tell me what's up with this little improvization piece. thanks.

and how can i find out about other juices/fruits that contain dextrose and maltodextrins to substitute??? apple juice, maybe (not too crazy about it, though)???

p.s. do you guys have your oatmeal with hot milk or hot water (yukk) ???? i just can't do it... so i had to come up with a shake for my oatmeal or something. and btw, the milk is nice and cooooold. :eek:

Last edited:
Oatmeal is not a great choice for post workout because of its fiber content. I'm not sure what carbs are in it,but even if its mostly glucose the fiber is not what most people want post workout. Apple juice is not as high in glucose, as grape juice. I think its higher in fructose. I wish knew a site that had this info,i found one,but i am have been on 56k,and my comp's too slow to download it. The fruits are a good choice for other times in the day, but usually not good for post workout.

dextrose is less than a dollar a pound either at your local brewery(from what ive heard) or supplementdirect.com or if u can find a cheaper source

Last edited:
hey chillin. so do you think i should keep it simple and only have juice immediately after workout... wait 60 minutes... and THEN have my breakfast---> that maybe would consist of 1/2 cup oatmeal, skim milk, 1/2 banana and 1 cup of some fruit juice.... >>>>>
or is this just not such a great idea altogether???
grrr... i just don't know what to eat for breakfast. really. i leave the gym staaarving in the mornings. this is very serious. :D j/k but thanks for the input. any ideas, for a quick breakfast????

you should only wait 60-90 mins if you did an am CARDIO workout. Otherwise, if it was weight training, eat immediately, usually with a carb such as dextrose as chillin suggested.
After weights, you need fast absorbing nutrients when your muscles are screaming for them the most.

This is what I eat, it has worked perfectly
2 eggs+1white = 166/15.5g/10g/2.4g
1 WW bread = 69/3g/1.2g/13g
1 apple = 81/0/0/21g
TOTAL= 316/18.5g/11.2g/36.4g

But I cardio in the mornings.
This is not a post weight training meal.
But in any event, i hope it applies to you.

Peace, and good luck.

Top Bottom