Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please PLEASE stop using table salt to cook with...

ChefWide

Elite Mentor
Platinum
You really need to try using some Kosher salt, or if you really want to step into a different world, use some great sea salt: fleur de sel being the top choice.

As bbs or fitness types you know that it's the little things that make all the difference between good and great, that in your quest, most often 1+1=3.

No place does that equate more directly than in the foods you use when you cook. The littlest changes make a world of differnce.

Once you use good, better tasting salt in your cooking you will never go back.

Don't believe me? Take this better ingredient analogy-

Make some Hot chocolate with comercial cocoa powder, a dash of vanilla extract, white sugar and milk.

Now make some with Valrona Cocao, caramel, fresh vanilla bean steeped in full fat fresh farmers milk.

Not even the same drink. Not even close. Both use cocoa, both use white sugar, both add vanilla, both use milk.

The same can be said of anything you cook: you get out the quality you put in.

Try good salt. You will be amazed.

my kids love kosher salt and i love cooking with it- it seems to bring out flavor without overdoing the sodium thing.
i grew up with sea salt- its awesome on eggs.

Sugarplum said:
my kids love kosher salt and i love cooking with it- it seems to bring out flavor without overdoing the sodium thing.
i grew up with sea salt- its awesome on eggs.

Really, I know I am almost famous for overstating the obvious and prone to some serious over use of the word 'best', but this is the real deal:

Soft scrambled eggs with whole butter and a tablespoon of double cream in the scramble, a pinch of sea salt and as much shaved white truffle as you can afford.

This is possilbly the most hedonistic, mind altering flavor experience that a human can have.

Truffles break the surley bonds of earth and caress the face of god.

Longhorn85 said:
What about regular black pepper? How can I improve on that?

As far as black pepper goes you have Indian Black Peppers (Malabar and Tellicherry Pepper), Indonesian (Lampong Pepper), Brazilian and Malaysian.

Malaysian and Brazilian are the mildest, but not the best, IMHO. Tellicherry is really just a very select form of Malabar, but your getting fleeced on the price just for the size and shape of the 'corns'. I have yet to meet but one man that can tell the difference, but he is freak that can tell you the world by tasting, you and me? go malabar.

Try the Lampong, if you can find it designated, its a little milder but lacks the pungency and, well, the cahones of Malabar.

it is the finer things in life eh?
yea instead of being the cheapest
try a few step above the norm
you'll be so surprised

obiwan9962 said:
it is the finer things in life eh?
yea instead of being the cheapest
try a few step above the norm
you'll be so surprised

Yes, it is amazing how the simplest things bring the most pleasure....

Top Bottom