Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Obese weight loss calculating caloric needs?

oneandthesame

If one were obese lets say 300 lb. middleaged female 5'5".
Now if we took 300 x 12 that would be a bmr of 3600 calories.
Even if we took off 500 cals that's still stuffing down 3100 cals a day at which I doubt an obese person could lose weight. Thats where I need help from all the diet guru's. Trying to help an obese friend lose some weight by nailing a diet down that she can start tracking some numbers. Help me please. I need number of calories per day and ratio's of p c and f's.

oneandthesame said:
If one were obese lets say 300 lb. middleaged female 5'5".
Now if we took 300 x 12 that would be a bmr of 3600 calories.
Even if we took off 500 cals that's still stuffing down 3100 cals a day at which I doubt an obese person could lose weight. Thats where I need help from all the diet guru's. Trying to help an obese friend lose some weight by nailing a diet down that she can start tracking some numbers. Help me please. I need number of calories per day and ratio's of p c and f's.

Just because the calories sound high, it does not mean they are actually high. It's all objectively determined by the person's weight. Start her off at 3600 cal, and gradually (every 2 weeks or so) decrease the caloric intake by 100 cal. No less then 2000 for the first run. When you are obese, the weight does NOT just come off in 8 weeks, it takes a LONG time w/ the proper diet and nutrition. Gradual is way better then fast in her case.

Why don't you put her on a simple: 30%protein/20%carbs/50% fat..........
protein is all lean like chicken breastes and egg whites
carbs all fiberous in some way like veggies and oatmeal
fats all EFA's like flaxseed oil, olive oil, walnut oil, udo's choice oil, sesamese seed oil etc....

Mr.X

Look if she were OBESE....and if she really wants to lose weight, do this: maximum of 30g of fat per day. Around 80g of protein. Around 150g of carbs. Use an appetite suppresent like Adipex.

Lots of cardio.

She will lose weight fast. She will motivated a lot because the weight comes off fast. She will keep the weight off once she get to her desired weight with a maintainence diet combined with a exercise regime.

But I think the key here is hard dieting and lots of cardio to bring her down to her desired weight first.

MkZk said:
Look if she were OBESE....and if she really wants to lose weight, do this: maximum of 30g of fat per day. Around 80g of protein. Around 150g of carbs. Use an appetite suppresent like Adipex.

Lots of cardio.

She will lose weight fast. She will motivated a lot because the weight comes off fast. She will keep the weight off once she get to her desired weight with a maintainence diet combined with a exercise regime.

But I think the key here is hard dieting and lots of cardio to bring her down to her desired weight first.

Low-fat diets are the WORST thing you can do for an obese person, especially w/ a higher carb diet. Give her healthy fats and you'll see her improve gradually. NEVER put her on a low-fat diet, nor a low calorie diet.

Mr.X

Mr.X said:

Low-fat diets are the WORST thing you can do for an obese person, especially w/ a higher carb diet. Give her healthy fats and you'll see her improve gradually. NEVER put her on a low-fat diet, nor a low calorie diet.

Mr.X

okay, but what about the apidex? that sounds like it would work really good, but she does have a little high blood pressure.

oneandthesame said:

okay, but what about the apidex? that sounds like it would work really good, but she does have a little high blood pressure.

Do not give her apidex or ANY other supplements, besides the basic fiber and r-ala. She needs to adapt her body to losing some fat first before jumping on these pill. Trust me, DIET/CARDIO/WIEGHTS/SLEEP/WILL! is all she needs for now....not a magic solution

Mr.X

Please tell me the physiological reasons why on obese person should not be put on a low calorie diet. And why not low fat too.

You claim that low fat diet are the WORST for an obese person.

My advice seems sound. Hard dieting would create a negative energy balance. A few weeks of this combined with lots of cardio. Now I'm not going into the debate of fats. EFAs have their place. But if an obese person needs to lose weight, a few weeks of low fat isn't going to do any harm.

My advice would work, and so will yours, but yours would be slower and the obese person would not be as motivated. However, I think it's very presumptious to make a sweeping statement like "low-fat diets are the worst thing"

By the way, do u think 150g of carbs is high? I think not!

btw she said she did do apidex 30 years ago and lost 100 pounds in less than 6 months with no exercise at all. What she is doing now is trying to go without eating until she is hungry and then only eat a small amount. I think she will hit a wall very quickly on this plan but hopefully I can get her more structure before she get's too discouraged. She seems to be getting the right frame of mind though, a quiet determinism, as though if she had had an epiphany of sorts, I hope this to be anyway.

She seems to be getting the right frame of mind though, a quiet determinism

That's great. She will make it, especially if she sees fast tangible results. That's why I advocate extreme dieting in the short term. After this short term period she can switch to a diet a few hundred calories below maintaince.

For an obese or even just a normal person, the motivational factor is extremely important. Once they see fast results, they will more likely stick to a diet/training plan.

yes, Adipex will help her willpower to resist food. I don't see the rationale of Mr. X's advice of her needing "adapt her body to losing some fat first before jumping on Adipex." But if she has problems with hypertension or some cardiovascular disease, then it's a different story.

Get her to discuss it with her doc first then have her go all out to kill the flab.

Top Bottom