Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Oatmeal is Oatmeal

NFG123

Guys,

What's the hubub about OLD FASHIONED oatmeal vs. Instant. I difference between the "Strawberries and Cream" varieties and the plain is understood, absolutely. HOWEVER, both instant quaker oatmeal (unflavored) and ORIGINAL (slow cook) quaker oatmeal contain "100% rolled oats" as their sole ingredient. The Instant has been chopped finer, from what I can see, and that is what is causing its' "instantness" since the H20 is absorbed into it faster. I have heard that there is a BIG difference in the GI between the two ... but can't understand WHERE this is coming from. Is this true? And if so, why?

Thanks,

I'm not sure about the GI, but there is a difference in the amounts of sodium. Old Fashioned has 0 sodium. This might be irrelevant, but just thought I'd reply.

I like Always Save oatmeal. mmmmmm. Actually I think the main difference is quick
oats are chopped up more like you say. I don't want to wait an extra five minutes for
my oatmeal myself. I can cook quick oats in the microwave in three minutes.

compare old fashioned plain oatmeal, long cooking
1 cup dry- suger= 0 grams, GI value= 49, blood sugar peak response at 45mins at about a value of 90.

instant oatmeal- 1 cup sugar 24 grams, GI value =80, blood sugar peak response at about 30mins at a value of 120

fiatconspiracy,
You've compared old fashioned oats to instant flavored oats.

NFG123,
The flavored oats have lotsa sugar, and that's why they have a high GI. But quick oats are simply old fashioned oats chopped up for faster cooking, as some have already said.

dngu047 said:

Smaller starch particles are broken down more quickly by the body...which leads to a higher GI

Over proccessed verses whole....your body breaks down the food slower so glucose is more slowley released into the blood stream because of this--->Hence a lover GI response.

Top Bottom