Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Not eating after lifting

It takes about 20 min for the body to absorb the whey i believe and the window is 30min. There was jsut a post about this not to long ago. The problem about not taking in a shake or simple carbs after a workout and jsut going straight into a meal is that whatever you are eating say chick, turkey, or steak will take around 2 hours for the body to absorb. What you need to do is get your ass out of the gym after your wokout, quit talkin to people, run your ass home or wherrever you can get a shake and other essentials. lol.
For me its easy my gym is literally across the street from me.

Carbs within 45 mins, protien within 90 mins always seems to work well for me. However, February through May, three or four times per week I do cardio in the AM on an empty stomach and don't eat for an hour afterward to stoke up the fat-burner.

Interesting to read these posts. Just shows my point, find what works for you. There really is no cut and dry way, and no big science that says you have to do things a certain way.

Many bodybuilder friends of mine use no sugars at all, do protein and oats. They still make gains. It is all about what works for you.

Some folks shout and scream about some "studies" and "science", and this is all well and good.

Makes me wonder how those guys back in the 60's,70's, even 80's on ever built great physiques without knowing all this stuff! Guys like Bill Pearl, Steve Reeves, etc., some of the best physiques ever.

Lifterforlife said:
I am not sure where the 1 hr. window came from, but I do believe it optimal to get some fast acting protein with equally fast carbs soon after a workout. In fact, I believe another one about 40 minutes later may be just as potent.

While it is true that it is what you do over weeks, months, years that add up to gains, you may be able to expediate the process with optimally timed protein/amino acid shakes. In fact, I found this study that may even relate this more.....
this study seems to indicate that amino acids are uptaken better. Post workout is probably an even more ideal time.

Recently, researchers from the University of Texas examined the effects of ingesting a carbohydrate (30g) and amino acid supplement (15g of essential amino acids) (CAA) or a meal on protein synthesis. Thirteen men ages 28 to 48 years of age where randomly into two tow treatment groups: 1) CAA= 36+OR- 10 years and 2)Control 38 + or -8 year. The CAA and meal was designed to be similar in amino acid content and were administered perodically throughout the day blood and muscle tissue was samples were collected in order to assess anabolism. The inclusion of a CAA supplement into a normal diet resulted in a greater anabolic stimulus as the meal treatment indicated by the 25% increase in protein synthesis rate. Additionally, the consumption of only meals throughout the 16 hour study period resulted in a negative net protein balance, while adding frequent CAA supplements resulted in a positive balance. The researchers suggested that the CAA supplement was more effective in maximizing protein synthesis rates as result of the speed with which the supplement is digested and taken up into the system. Based upon these findings it may be recommended for athletes consume some sort of CAA supplement throughout the day in order to maximize the muscular adaptations to their training regimes and maintain a positive protein balance.

This study on the surface seems to favor amino acids over whole food, but this is just the abstract. I would venture to interpret it more as an amino acid supplement taken with your meals would be more anabolic. Makes comon sense....add 2 protein shakes per day for instance on top of your meals, and you are typically adding at least 40 gr. of protein assuming one scoop per shake. This in fact would seem to have to sway the nitrogen balance more positive.

I believe this is the citation used to support the one hour window;
Journal of Applied Physiology; 88, 386-392, 2000.

JavaGuru said:
I believe this is the citation used to support the one hour window;
Journal of Applied Physiology; 88, 386-392, 2000.

Can you post it? One study hardly makes a scientific certainty, but I would still love to read it.

If you can't, I will look it up when I get home.

On a work computer, don't have much time right now.

Lifterforlife said:
Interesting to read these posts. Just shows my point, find what works for you. There really is no cut and dry way, and no big science that says you have to do things a certain way.

Many bodybuilder friends of mine use no sugars at all, do protein and oats. They still make gains. It is all about what works for you.

Some folks shout and scream about some "studies" and "science", and this is all well and good.

Makes me wonder how those guys back in the 60's,70's, even 80's on ever built great physiques without knowing all this stuff! Guys like Bill Pearl, Steve Reeves, etc., some of the best physiques ever.

Well, thee are numerous studies claiming no athletic benefit from AAS's for athletes. Which we all know is BS....remember there was a study claiming half of published studies are BS..based on sample quantity. That's why we work with anecdotal evidence a lot. Yes, It's flawed but does hold some advantages.

JavaGuru said:
Well, thee are numerous studies claiming no athletic benefit from AAS's for athletes. Which we all know is BS....remember there was a study claiming half of published studies are BS..based on sample quantity. That's why we work with anecdotal evidence a lot. Yes, It's flawed but does hold some advantages.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Ok, here is the study you cited....seems some discrepency in the 1 hr. window. Kind of a leap saying only one hour when the study cites one or 3 hr. Hardly a definitive study to base a whole protocol of 1 hr. window.

Read similar anabolic responses at 1 or 3 h

Not to mention the study was done with all of 6 people, hardly quantifiable evidence.

J Appl Physiol 88: 386-392, 2000;

PubMed

PubMed Citation
Articles by Rasmussen, B. B.
Articles by Wolfe, R. R.

Vol. 88, Issue 2, 386-392, February 2000

An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise
Blake B. Rasmussen, Kevin D. Tipton, Sharon L. Miller, Steven E. Wolf, and Robert R. Wolfe
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch and Metabolism Unit, Shriners Burns Institute, Galveston, Texas 77550

This study was designed to determine the response of muscle protein to the bolus ingestion of a drink containing essential amino acids and carbohydrate after resistance exercise. Six subjects (3 men, 3 women) randomly consumed a treatment drink (6 g essential amino acids, 35 g sucrose) or a flavored placebo drink 1 h or 3 h after a bout of resistance exercise on two separate occasions. We used a three-compartment model for determination of leg muscle protein kinetics. The model involves the infusion of ring-2H5-phenylalanine, femoral arterial and venous blood sampling, and muscle biopsies. Phenylalanine net balance and muscle protein synthesis were significantly increased above the predrink and corresponding placebo value (P < 0.05) when the drink was taken 1 or 3 h after exercise but not when the placebo was ingested at 1 or 3 h. The response to the amino acid-carbohydrate drink produced similar anabolic responses at 1 and 3 h. Muscle protein breakdown did not change in response to the drink. We conclude that essential amino acids with carbohydrates stimulate muscle protein anabolism by increasing muscle protein synthesis when ingested 1 or 3 h after resistance exercise.

muscle protein synthesis; stable isotopes; nutritional supplementation

If I may proceed with this "window" discussion...not trying here to prove anyone right or wrong, because actually, there really may be no right or wrong.

The beauty of what we do is what works for one may not necessarily work the same for another.

Remember folks, bodybuilding is not a team sport. It is in fact very individualistic.

With that said....here is some more reading

Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

These results shouldn’t be too surprising because we’ve known for over a decade that postworkout protein synthesis is jacked up for this long (MacDougall et al., 1995), but if you’re discovering this for the first time, then it’s pretty exciting!

Some research suggests that even 48 hours after the workout our protein synthesis levels can be elevated by ~33% (Phillips et al., 1997), giving us an even longer period during which we can maximize our muscle growth with protein drinks.

Top Bottom