Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

no solids only protein shakes, good or bad?

mitch1301

I have been dieting for a couple weeks now, so far getting good results. Wanted to know would it be unhealthy for me to give up solid foods for the next month or two and only drink protein shakes and flax seed oil. I am trying to loose quite a bit of weight and thought this could help speed up the process. Any info good or bad is greatly appreciated.

later
mitch

Healthy? Well, I couldn't answer this correctly without pointing out the fact that protein shakes + Flaxseed oil can be "ok" for your health if the calories are kept close to BMR (basal-metabolic-rate ...weightx12) levels. Now, on the other hand, if a "Fat-Fast" type diet is considered with the used of protein/flax then I could definitely say that the 40-50% deficit of daily BMR is UNHEALTHY and should only be used in extreme cases. Because, remember, such high calorie deficit is an unarguable recipe for drastic metabolic slowdown.

Mr.X :cool:

Wasn't there some fad liquid protein diet in the very early 80's, (maybe late 70's) very popular until a few people died.

Eat some solid food along with some shakes

Sirwanksalot

Shakes dont have some minerals solid do ...... otherwise life would be so easier

Trace nutrients would be missing....

Just think how many things every function of your body requires. now remember that MRPs are made by humans. Do you think the supp companies thought of EVERY SINGLE THING that your body needs to function?

well i'd definitely have to say that it's unhealthy...no fibre, lacking key vitamins and minerals...plus lacking the thousands of chemicals found on vegetables and fruits that we known are good for fighting cancer etc

and that's just physical health...i reckon such a bland diet would really fuck with your head as well you'll probably be hungry all the time and will break out in sweat any time you even see a carb

Here you go;

http://www.cce.cornell.edu/food/expfiles/topics/levitsky/levitskyqanda.html

Q. Isn't it correct that in the 1970's there was a fad diet where the only calories supplied were through liquid protein drinks? Furthermore, didn't several people die from this diet due to the build up of ketones in the body- betahydroxybutoric acid, diacetic acid, and acetone? I thought these drinks were then outlawed. Can't this be used as valid evidence that Atkins' diet does not work or does his diet bypass these effects because fat is also ingested?

A. You are right the liquid protein diets were used a part of the "Protein Sparing Fast" system of losing weight and they were found to be lethal, but not because of formation of ketone bodies. They used a certain kind of protein to make the amino acid mixture which contained a toxin and it was the process that caused the problem. The liquid protein diet was essentially a high protein diet that would inhibit appetite for as long as one consumed it. But like all the other high protein diets, you can't stay on it forever and when you stop consuming the high protein, your appetite will return and so does your weight.

Sirwanksalot

My experience: I do shakes all day...but because i'm lazy...but I also take a fiber supplement, flax or peanuts. And I will have a meal occasionally. Also my shakes are not only high in protein, they have mod carbs to. I personally prefer to have shakes more than solids for 2 reasons:

1-I see better results from them, and feel better, never have that full feeling that makes me feel sluggish

2- Increase hydration, ease in digestion,....bottom line easy takes no time...with work, training, a house, a dog, a little social life...one less thing i have to do.

I am currently on a Protein Shake Diet for the next month.
I have already done this diet before. I did it about 3 months ago for 1 month and now i am going to do it again.

The first time i did this diet i went from 230lbs to 209lbs.
I am currently 211lbs and am looking to drop down to a fit 192lbs.

I am on track to lose weight and then stay on a weight loss management program.

I allow myself 4 - Protein Shakes a day.
I usually have them every 3 hours (i.e. 8-11-2-5pm).
I also take vitamins every morning.
Twice a day I include a SUPERFOOD Supplement made by BIOTEST into my protein shakes.

On days that I workout I allow myself an extra Protein Shake.

And at night, preferably before 8pm, I have a solid meal.

My meal usually consists of some rice, vegetables, and chicken or beef. I try and keep the meal under 500 calories, preferably 400 calories.

All together my caloric intake each day stays below 2000.

That honestly would be a terrible idea. I am all for a high quality protein supplement and like a high quality whey protein isolate supplement after workouts to quickly replenish depleted amino acid levels but whole food is always superior. Think about it logically. What do you think your body will absorb better...some powder that you are reconstituting with water or a piece of steak, fish, poultry etc,

I have a link to my pre contest meal plan here if you want some help developing a diet program: http://www.evolutionary.org/forums/...-contest-diet-looks-like-meal-meal-41414.html

Top Bottom