Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to wieghtlifting and need some basic info about diets, and what to look for?

I am new to weightlifting and have some questions about dieting. My stats are: male, 5'7, 140 pounds. I am in good shape.

My goals are to gain 10-15 pounds of muscle and be very toned.

I eat quite healthy. Lots of fruits and vegetables, milk, rice, meats, ect... I do not eat a lot of junk food, but do eat desert everyday and the occasional extra piece of pie and case of beer.

I have read that everyone is talking about stuff called "whey". What is it, what does it do?

I am also interested to know what I should eat to put on muscle. I understand protein is good, but anything else?

I am not interested in going to a special weightlifters store to buy shakes and special formula stuff, I just want to diet on things I can get from the grocery store.

I probably eat about 3000 cals a day if that is important.

Thanks.

Whey is a type of protein, the most fast absorbing infact. It is best to have a whey shake within 15 mins of
your workout.

When building lean mass the most important factors are clean food, LOTS of protein, lots of rest, decent routine, and lots of water.

You could do with eating around protein @ 200g/day
spread over 4/5 meals. You will have to eat more if you want to gain size, if you can munch cals @ 3000/day and still be lean then you are going to need to either cut back on cardio and raise calls by about 500/1000 or continue current cardio and raise the cals at minimum by 1000. Drink around 1/1.5 gallons of water per day.

Id be interesetd to see your cardio and lifting routines - they are VERY important!

hi smurf little pea,

I can't get too specific without knowing your current activity level and your age, but here's some stuff to reemmber:

1. Understnad that you wil have to eat about 3600-4000 calories a day, depending on what you do and your age

2. Take your lean mass and double it to get your daily protein intake in grams

3. Eat essential fatty acids that come from almonds,natural peanut butter, fish, FLAX SEED OIL**, and olive oil, among other sources; yes, you may be taking in 100 or more grams of fat a day

4. Make sure you drink a whey shake after working out and if possible when you wake up to stop catabolism

5. If you eat a meal with lots of carbs (like 100 grams), make sure it is either at breakfast or in your postworkout meal cuz that's when your liver will be able to store the carbs. other than that, try to split up the carb and protein intake pretty evenly

6. Drink tons of water and have a solid bulking training routine. If you want to see mine, email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the MS Work document

I'm 5'7.5" and 138 pounds, male, so I'm kinda like you. f you email me I'll send you my eating routine (more or less) and my wokrout routine.

This is my routine I made up, not sure if it is any good yet though. On the off days, I jog or use the exercise bike for 30-60 minutes and do more sit-ups.

1. (Squats) 3 sets of 10 reps
2. (bench press) 3 sets of 15 reps
3. (2 hand barbell curls) 3 sets of 10 reps
4. (dumbbell bench press) 3 sets of 15 reps
5. (bent arm laterals) 3 sets of 10 reps
6. (upright rowing) 3 sets of 10 reps
7. (alternate dumbbell press, standing) 3 sets of 20 reps
8. (sit ups) till my stomach hurts

Those are most of the exercises I know. I usually have about 40 pounds of weight on the barbell (including bar) and about 15 pounds on each dumbbell.

That is my work out routine.

Top Bottom