Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Negating birth control weight gain?

rtdoplex

High End Bro
Platinum
Howdy all. Long time reader, first time poster.

Not sure if this is the right place for it.. but, here goes.

My girlfriend wants go on birth control. We have had a couple scares in the past year, in no uncertain terms, with condoms so she wants to try something like the shot. She doesn't want the pill because it's easy to forget, so she's looking into Depo-Provera.

She works out 3 times a week (cardio + strength training program). She's in pretty good shape and is petrified of the weight gain associated with hormonal birth control. She's had too many friends, well, uh, become not so in shape while on the pill, even while they continue an already strenuous workout program.

So she's looking for one of two things. 1) a solid birth control method which will not give her a bunch of undesired side effects (namely weight gain) or 2) a way to negate the birth control weight gain. Would anything be able to negate this? Some type of thermogenic like T-Rex possibly? Has anyone had success combating this or found a better way to stay, well, not pregnant?

Fire away..

I wonder if the womans board would get you more help.

I know what your talking about though. I've had a couple of ex GF's go on birth control and swell up a bit too. Is it mostly water rentention though? The hormonal changes make them a bit coo coo too, so watch out for that.

Please let me know if you find an answer for this.

My girlfriend got bigger. :confused:

I don't know how much is retaining water :jarswim:

but 10 lbs. seems like a lot of water.:worried:

Bran987 said:
Please let me know if you find an answer for this.

My girlfriend got bigger. :confused:

I don't know how much is retaining water :jarswim:

but 10 lbs. seems like a lot of water.:worried:

Good question. From what I understand, it depends on the type of pill she's taking.

There are two hormones associated with birth control pills - estrogen and progestin. Supposedly with pills high in estrogen, your water metabolism is altered and most of that weight is water (although 10 lbs. of water weight does seem like a lot). Supposedly a reduction in salt intake can decrease the effect somewhat. However I have heard that progrestin dominated pills induce more permanent, non-water related weight gain, partially due to an increase in appetite and partially due to how the hormone makes your body process fats.

Although I have heard of people gaining 50 lbs. or more on hormonal birth control and never losing that weight thereafter... and that is certainly not water weight..

Top Bottom