Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need General Diet Help

justinf77

Hey everyone. I have been browsing the boards today and there seem to be several knowledgable people here, so I decided to register and see if i could get some help. My name is Justin, I'm 19 years old and a college student. I'm about 180 lbs, 14-15% body fat.

I am not looking to compete in bodybuilding or anything like that. I just want an athletic build much like the guys on the cover of Men's Health. I know that may not be the most popular mag around here, but hey, you have to admit the guys in it are well-defined.

I am willing to follow a diet, not the same food every day though, but the same P/C/F ratios. The problem is, I am not sure what they should be. I'd like to drop fat down to about 8-10% and then bulk up. I am not very strong at the moment either, if that makes any difference. I can only bench about 135 lbs 10 times for 3 sets.

I am basically looking for some good advice, any help would be appreciated. Also, what do you think about cheat days or cheat meals? I have heard so many different philosophies in the fitness / nutrition world that make my head spin, and then I get frustrated and don't know what to do.

Well, that is it for now. I'm looking forward to hanging around here and picking up some good fitness advice. I'd like to be a trainer next summer if possible as well. Just want to let you guys / gals know I'm serious about this. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Justin

I'm glad to see you're on the road to building a better body, and, yes, you are absolutely correct about the cover models for men's health: quiet low bodyfat.

180 x 12=2160cal a day
Try a simple balanced diet 40%protein/30%carbs/30%fat
protein: 216g a day
Carbs: 162g a day
Fat: 75g fat a day

If you eat 5 meals:
-breakdown per meal-
43g protein/32g carbs/15g fat

Meal Example:
3/4 cup oatmeal
2 whole eggs
22 g protein mixed in w/ oatmeal

training:
If you're not strong, we'll then we can get you strong...
workout:
M- chest, tri's
T-back, bi's
w-shoulders, abs
th-legs, calfs
fri-arms, abs

-> the key here is Failure training, where you only do 2-3 set per bodypart of heavy movements until failure...
exampe: -chest-
bench press (flat): 155x8, 165x6, 185x2 (w/spot if need be)

Mr.X

Thanks a lot for the advice Mr. X. Now, because I want to understand the numbers as well, why is my bodyweight multiplied by 12? Is that the number for cutting? What would be the multiplier for maintenance / bulking?

Also, one more question. What would be the benefits of failure training as opposed to full body circuit training 2-3 times a week? I know you answer posts like this routinely and I don't mean to be a nuisance, I just want to head in the right direction.

What about occasional cheating? I will try to cheat as little as possible, but every once in a while a pizza craving comes along :)

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks a lot for the advice Mr. X. Now, because I want to understand the numbers as well, why is my bodyweight multiplied by 12?
that is the multiplier where you lose bodyfat, under maintanance
Is that the number for cutting?
weight x 11-12 +/- a few %

What would be the multiplier for maintenance / bulking?
maintenance weight x 14-15, bulking weight x 17-20

Also, one more question. What would be the benefits of failure training as opposed to full body circuit training 2-3 times a week?
circuit training creates indurance, failure training creates strength and muscle mass

What about occasional cheating? I will try to cheat as little as possible, but every once in a while a pizza craving comes along :)
you can have a cheat day once a week, say sunday, but it has to stay below weight x 18 in calories

Mr.X

Top Bottom