Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mr.BMJ, Valdez, or whoever can answer this...

GenetiKing

Everyone knows it's vitally important to get down carbs (preferably simple ones) immediately after you train. This is becuase carbs help replenish depleted glycogen stores and their subsequent effect on insulin helps hedge against catabolism.

In light of this, here is my question...
Would drinking a simple carb drink like Gatorade or something similar while you train help in keeping cortisol levels low? I might be wrong, but from what I understand, cortisol levels rise during times of physical and mental stress and are exacerbated when the body senses a low supply of food (i.e. an empty stomach/low glycogen stores).

I just thought that maybe by supplying the body with a steady supply of highly glycemic carbs in a drink during training might help in keeping the body from sensing a red alert situation (and keep blood cortisol levels low) while keeping glycogen stores fuller.

In other words, would there be enough carbs in such a drink to keep the body from dipping too far into catabolism while training?

Last edited:
Dont quote me, but from what I have understood, cortisol levels rise 1hr AFTER you work out, which is the reason you shouldnt train that long.

I believe www.muscle101.com has some info on this subject, although ive never really bothered to read it.
If not, try this site, I positive they have such info.http://www.ast-ss.com/

I know I didnt help, but its something

Blood,
Where is the best place to go on those sites? The Q&A? I checked them out but I'm not sure where to go.

Thanks bro.

Last edited:
bump...

I'd like to hear a little more about this.
I saw the Gatorade commercial a couple days ago. It says something about 6% carbs and electrolytes.
...Not sure what Gatorade drinks do during a workout.

Consuming sugars within an hour of starting exercise should be counterproductive, as the secretion of insulin would be stimulated, and the available energy for exercise decreased.
However, once exercise has started, the likelihood of any insulin reaction that might occur decreases as a result of noradrenaline supressing insulin activity.
There is definately an advantage to be had by taking in a certain amount of sugars during the activity, not only as a source of energy but also to aid in the uptake of water by the gut.

I would personally follow dnp's advice, but there are times especially in hot conditions when an energy drink such as gatorade or lucozade has its uses or if you plan on performing some cardio at the end of your workout.

Top Bottom