Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

More Carbs, Less Protein, More Reps, Less Weight

Bunny something to consider as other forums of activity on your off HIT days is Yoga Pilates or Tie Chi. Great Stress realivers and very low impact. Also nothing wrong with a a walk just take it easy you don't want to kill all the muscle your trying to build to much cardio is catbolic.
Secondly with you picky eating there is a lot of things I was not a big fan have eating when I started eating clean but I slowly grew to like them. I used to hate cottage cheese but now I mix it with oatmeal cinnamon a little splenda chopped almonds and I swear it is like a dessert. Try things out with the stuff you don't like adding a little seasoning can really go a long way. Same thing with shakes make sure to pick a brand you like. I am a big fan of PVL Whey Gourmet they really taste amazing.

superqt4u2nv said:
Bunny something to consider as other forums of activity on your off HIT days is Yoga Pilates or Tie Chi. Great Stress realivers and very low impact. Also nothing wrong with a a walk just take it easy you don't want to kill all the muscle your trying to build to much cardio is catbolic.
Secondly with you picky eating there is a lot of things I was not a big fan have eating when I started eating clean but I slowly grew to like them. I used to hate cottage cheese but now I mix it with oatmeal cinnamon a little splenda chopped almonds and I swear it is like a dessert. Try things out with the stuff you don't like adding a little seasoning can really go a long way. Same thing with shakes make sure to pick a brand you like. I am a big fan of PVL Whey Gourmet they really taste amazing.

Even though one's diet is crucial in fat loss, I have a feeling when I start seeing some results (which I have a little) I will start to experiment with oatmeal, cottage cheese and find SOMEthing I like. Your recipe above sounds like something I think I can stomach and grow to like.

I have to admit, I bought into to Windsor Pilates idea with seeing the infomercials ALL the frickin’ time, so I bought the set (I think there's like 8). Week after I got them, I stopped using them - found out in July I needed more Chemo. (Trust me, I only cried once since I've been diagnosed, I am a strong woman and was mad for 15 min, if that. It's just annoying! :p ) Couldn’t really sit still long enough or concentrate for yoga but I hear it works wonders, Tai Chi too. They have many classes at my gym, so I can always start there.

I think I have problems with the liquid shake idea from the crap they make you drink before CT scans. Anything that looks, smells or sits in my mouth like that chalky concoction makes me dry heave (real good AB workout) :rolleyes: ; even the thought of it gives me chills. I suppose I can always throw ice in a blender and make them thicker, & add some natural PB for flavor if I have no other option for that particular meal. How about fresh fruit too? That's making my mouth water....

Congrats on your common sense first! It actually really scares me to see what qualifies people to become "personal trainers". You are definitely on the right track. I'm just going to throw out a couple of thoughts across a couple of areas:

Diet
The diet you have posted is definitely in the right direction, and you will learn how to tweak whatever you end up doing. Some things I would keep in mind:
- Make as much of your daily intake in the form of REAL food. I would recommend tossing the Slimfast bar. I keep protein bars with me when I don't have time to get a real meal or if I get caught in a place where I can't eat on my regular schedule. Otherwise I stay away from them. There are better things to eat. Protein shakes are good, but I would also keep these to no more than 1-2 per day. At 3 times / day, you are missing some great opportunities to get real food in there. It isn't just the protein you want in your body, but also the great things that come along with the food. There are great enzymes & stuff in fruits & vegetables that help clean out free radicals that you would start accumulating if you ate a diet very limited in variety.

Make sure you are getting enough good quality fats in your diet. You need good carbs in your diet for energy, but on your low carb days, fats will help reduce the lethargy that can result. Flax seed oil is a great source of fat - you can mix it into your protein shakes and I also usually use flax seed oil & vinegar on my salads.

Also give yourself at least 1 cheat meal per week. If you are looking at following a restrictive diet for 6-8 months, your body will get used to what you are feeding it and stop responding as efficiently as it could. You may also start getting really bored w/ the diet & let the cravings get to you. A cheat meal / week gives you an outlet for that and also gives you room to accommodate some degree of socializing - go out w/ friends for a big meal, drinks, etc.

Training:
You're doing great things with the training - focus on your form and the intensity of the training. But don't over do. Overtraining is also called under-recovery. If your body needs to take a break, it will take it whether or not you were planning to. And it might a longer break than you expected. I would also suggest no or very little cardio on leg day - with the cardio on other days along w/ a heavy leg day, your muscles are already getting worked. I agree w/ the above suggestion to throw in some pilates or something - that stuff is great for stretching and also working on your core strengths & balance. Trust me! You will appreciate it when you are "older".

In general:
If you start feeling tired or run down, then take a break from your training. In the bigger picture, your body will tell you when it needs a break and like I said above, overtraining = under-recovery.

If you start feeling like your progress is stagnating and you aren't feeling run-down or you are just getting bored w/ your routine, change it up every 6-8 weeks. Same with diet.

Keep your mind on the long-term goal of 40lb or whatever it is, but don't get frustrated with your short-term progress if it starts to balk. Don't look for quick fixes or get sidetracked looking for a wild new diet or looking to magic pills to fix things.

Drink LOTS of WATER!

Make sure you are taking at least a good multi-vitamin.

Get enough good quality fats.

Otherwise I wish you great luck, welcome to the boards & I can hardly wait to see your progress reports!

I have to agree with what the other ladies have said.....In addition:

Don't like brown rice? How about brown basmati rice? Jasmine rice? Wild rice? Half brown/half white till you end up liking brown rice? WW Pasta/WW egg noodles.....

EFA's: olive oil, flax oil, almonds, walnuts

Veggies: I recently tried roasted veggies. OMG! Yum! Take an eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, peppers, leeks, etc chop & toss with olive oil & roast at 425 F for ~ 25 min till golden. Nice flavor!

Don't like cottage cheese? Too "goopy"? Try whipped or dry flake....it's "drier" & less goopy, more like cream cheese (sort of)....that turned me onto cottage cheese as I hated it B4...

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have frozen sweet potato "fries" pre-cut that are pretty good. You may want to try them eventually...

How about oatmeal in a different form? What form? Pancakes!! Blend 4 egg whites, 1 yolk, splenda, cinnmon, nutmeg, baking powder & 1/2 cup dry oatmeal in a blender & cook like pancakes.... You won't know there's oatmeal there.....

Also, re: workouts....if you do your weight lifting circuit with little rest & hard enough, you don't need cardio....Superset exercises like tricep pressdowns with crunches & you'll keep your heartrate up....

Welcome to Elite..
The Women's Board if full of information. :)

And you've already noticed that all the Women are very and helpful.
I believe your on the right track. :rose:

I just wonder why you can eat Yams, Sweet Potato, Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Fish, Canned Protein Shakes, Cottage Cheese?

You just don't like these?

Sassy69 said:
Congrats on your common sense first! It actually really scares me to see what qualifies people to become "personal trainers". You are definitely on the right track. I'm just going to throw out a couple of thoughts across a couple of areas… Otherwise I wish you great luck, welcome to the boards & I can hardly wait to see your progress reports!
Sassy69, thank you for the AWESOME suggestions!
RE: Diet – Working on tossing the Slim Fast bars or using them for emergencies only. Similarly, I have them on hand esp. in the mornings if I’m running late and have NO time to eat. I am adjusting my schedule as best I can to get a REAL breakfast, slowly but surely ;) Oh, and I’m all about the benefits of fruits & veggies - LOVE them.
RE: Fat – I’m looking to pick up some Flax seed oil. Does it have a taste? I think a long time ago I bought something in a capsule, probably because I heard or thought it tasted like crap, I cannot remember. I suppose it doesn’t matter much if you’re mixing it with a shake, etc.
RE: Cheat Meal – RIGHT ON TOP OF THAT, but in all seriousness, great advice. I am the 1st to admit I will cheat on a restrictive diet so I will definitely incorporate this. Is it normal to have this on your off/rest day? Does it matter?
RE: Training – Too much cardio for most? GUILTY! Although I may be conquering my stress and other issues by ‘pounding the pavement’ I can see where this is not beneficial. I’ll pick back up Pilates and find alternative stress relievers. Time for a change….

Sassy69 said:
Drink LOTS of WATER...Make sure you are taking at least a good multi-vitamin.
Check & Check

Now on to…
jenscats5 said:
I have to agree with what the other ladies have said.....In addition: Don't like brown rice? How about brown basmati rice? Jasmine rice? Wild rice? Half brown/half white till you end up liking brown rice? WW Pasta/WW egg noodles.....
EFA's: olive oil, flax oil, almonds, walnuts
Veggies: I recently tried roasted veggies. OMG! Yum! Take an eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, peppers, leeks, etc chop & toss with olive oil & roast at 425 F for ~ 25 min till golden. Nice flavor!
Don't like cottage cheese? Too "goopy"? Try whipped or dry flake....it's "drier" & less goopy, more like cream cheese (sort of)....that turned me onto cottage cheese as I hated it B4...
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have frozen sweet potato "fries" pre-cut that are pretty good. You may want to try them eventually...
How about oatmeal in a different form? What form? Pancakes!! Blend 4 egg whites, 1 yolk, splenda, cinnmon, nutmeg, baking powder & 1/2 cup dry oatmeal in a blender & cook like pancakes.... You won't know there's oatmeal there.....
Wonderful tips jenscats5!
RE: Rice - I’m up to ¾ brown ¼ white rice. I guess the general rule is to avoid any white starchy foods (pasta, rice, potato, bread, etc)?
RE: Recipes – The veggie & oatmeal recipe sound DE-LISCH! & the Sweet Potato fries I think I can handle because they are well, fries … :verygood:

And…

Pamela said:
Welcome to Elite.. The Women's Board if full of information. :) And you've already noticed that all the Women are very and helpful. I believe your on the right track. :rose: I just wonder why you can eat Yams, Sweet Potato, Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Fish, Canned Protein Shakes, Cottage Cheese?You just don't like these?

I’m not too sure if I had a bad experience with Yams and Sweet taters one Thanksgiving or what, maybe older relatives trying to force feed me or watching them chew with their dentures…. :sick: J/K I’ll try to adjust to those and the oatmeal idea.
Fish, I tell everyone I’m allergic so they leave me alone about it. :splat: (sorry love that icon) I suppose this has a lot to do with my mom having an allergic reaction to any seafood in general, stop breathing and being rushed to ER on her B-day some years back. My pops gave her CPR in the middle of the restaurant. SO, I just stay away from it.
Canned Protein Shakes…again with the CT scan milky concoction. Even if they are ice cold and I pound them I cannot seem to keep them down. I have been semi successful in trying to trick my mind into thinking I’m having some kind of treat if it tastes more like a triple thick shake from [insert favorite restaurant here].
Thanks for the warm welcome Pamela! :rose: I am pretty stubborn about my eating habits; some for good reason others because I can be a brat.

Now that I have finished my novel, I would also like to send a shout out to ashley2212, superqt4u2nv, Raina, Velvett and Daisy Girl for your help thus far…. :silly: :freak:

(yeah it’s Friday and I’ve gone mad….)

:fistfullo ----> [Insert my boss here]

To make protein shakes taste better, this is what I do....

Berry Smoothie: Freeze fresh strawberries (or use frozen) & blend the frozen berries with water, vanilla extract, vanilla protein powder & water or Carb Countdown milk or skim milk (can use raspberries or blueberries also) + Splenda

Chocolate Mocha Shake: Choc protein powder, water, milk, 2-4 ice cubes & 1 cube frozen leftover coffee or 1 tsp. instant espresso powder or liquid leftover coffee

Fresh sweet potato fries: Cut up fresh sweet tater (they can be tough to cut, so be careful!!) into slices & bake at 425 F for ~ 30 minutes. They won't be crunchy like regular fries but they are still good. If you want them to bake better, bake them on a rack inserted on top of a cookie sheet or baking rack. (This helps anything bake better IMO) By having air being able to get underneath & around the food, it just bakes better & can help with the "crunchiness."

Have you been tested for seafood allergy? You may want to get tested B4 you buy Flax oil as I've read that people with a seafood allergy should not consume it. It can taste a *little* fishy & you CANNOT cook with it. Use in shakes or on salads. I mix my flax with balsamic vinegar, spicy mustard & spices for a viniagrette.

Top Bottom