Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

More Carbs, Less Protein, More Reps, Less Weight

*Bunny*

This is really starting to bother me....

At my gym, three of the trainers have told me as a female, I need more carbs in my diet than protein. Also, I need to lay off the heavier weights and focus on more reps with lighter weights in order to "tone" and not bulk. !:confused:! When I said, "There is no such term as 'tone', " they looked at me like I was just another uninformed female overdoing cardio.

Side bar - My goals: (1) Lose fat (2) Healthy diet (3) Build muscle
I am trying a new approach to working out by doing HIIT on the Precor 3-4x a week for 40 minutes (5 min warm up, 1 minute high intensity, 2-3 minutes moderate intensity for 30 min., then 5 min cool down). Instead of lifting lighter weights for 15 reps like I used to (i.e. Upper Body), I increased the weight, focus on form and go 8-10 reps for 4 sets. Still need some tweaking with weight training and diet (signed up for FitDay to get started), but you get the idea of how I changed things up.

MY QUESTION: Am I approaching this all wrong? I am open to advice, but I cannot get over the feeling these trainers are leading me in the wrong direction.

In my experience, women actually need to adjust protein up and carbs down because their bodies tend to hold onto fat more readily than a male. The only difference in training would be to lower the total number of sets for a woman due to a lesser ability to recover, but what do I know. I don't have a piece of paper declaring me an expert. lol

JavaGuru said:
In my experience, women actually need to adjust protein up and carbs down because their bodies tend to hold onto fat more readily than a male. The only difference in training would be to lower the total number of sets for a woman due to a lesser ability to recover, but what do I know. I don't have a piece of paper declaring me an expert. lol

Thanks for responding :) . I understand what you're saying about holding on to more fat and in my case I also hold muscle very well too. I also know every person has his/her own opinion on Diet, Training, etc., but if I am heading in the wrong direction I'd rather find out now, then 6 months down the road of wasted effort.

You may want to post up on the women's fitness board. There are a lot of experienced women on the board and they are very helpful.

JavaGuru said:
You may want to post up on the women's fitness board. There are a lot of experienced women on the board and they are very helpful.

Done. Yes, indeed they are. I suppose I should have went with my gut and did this in the first place. Maybe I thought since the three who offered the advice were men, I'd like to hear what men had to say about it :)

Thanks again ;)

Top Bottom