Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Monounsatured fats VS Polyunsatured fats

Hey there Mr. Muscle.....

Good Question!

First, remember the difference in the chemical compostion between the two...mono-unsaturated fats contains one double bond and fatty acids that have multiple double bonds are called poly-unsaturated.
Basically, Poly-unsaturated fats cause less of a problem within the body and mono-unsaturated fats are considered to be the easiest fats to ingest and are also said to lower your cholestrol.

It is most important, however, that your body is ingesting the essential fatty acids that it cannot manufacture. Because your body cannot manufacture them, they must come in from the food you eat.

Essential fatty acids fall into two groups: omega-3 and omega-6. (The 3 and 6 refer to the first carbon double bond position on the fatty acid chain.)
All essential fatty acids are polyunsaturated, so the 3 and the 6 mean that the first double bond is either 3 or 6 carbons in from the end.

I know this is long and I hope not to confusing ...but, it is most important that your body is getting the fatty acids that it needs...then focus on ingesting mono-unsaturated fats.

~toga
:angel:

Last edited:
Omega-6's have negative effects on body composition, omega-3's have positive effects. Unless you are eating basically a fat free diet, omega-6 deficiency is not an issue, so there is no need to supplement them.

Par Deus said:
Omega-6's have negative effects on body composition, omega-3's have positive effects. Unless you are eating basically a fat free diet, omega-6 deficiency is not an issue, so there is no need to supplement them.

I agree with you Par Deus....and omega-6 fatty acids are found in most poly-unsaturated foods. Omega-3 being found in only a select few...

But from my understanding, and I may be wrong, I thought that omega-6 were only considered to produce negative effects when they is an over-abundance in the body. I think, the research said something along the lines of a typical american diet contains 20 times the omega-6 fatty acids that it needs, but significantly lacking omega-3's thus the American's basically have problems with the production of eicosanoids...thus causing problems.

~toga
:angel:

Ok so when you have to choose from Soy oil (which has more poly-unsattured fats) and Flax oil (Which has more Mono-unsaturd fats), then Flax oil is the best choice?

flax seed oil is the best source of omega 3s

olive oil is a good source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids

here are the number ive found:

Soy oil:
14g saturated
22g mono-unsaturated
60g Poly-unsatturated

Flaxseed oil:
5g saturated
58g mono-unsaturated
32g Poly-unsatturated

Fatty acids with only one double-bond are called mono-unsaturated. And fatty acids with more than one double-bond are called poly-unsaturated.

Now, poly-unsaturated fatty acids can be a health hazard because carbon-carbon double bonds can lead to free-radical formation and reactions with oxygen to form unstable lipid peroxide compounds containing the same unstable oxygen-oxygen bond found in hydrogen peroxide. Lipid peroxidation and free radicals can cause cancer and may accelerate aging.
Poly-unsaturated fats can also be health beneficial because they are used as structures of our cell membranes.

To tell you, mono-unsaturated acids are better than poly-. If you want me to go deeper into the fats, then tell me.

EliteShawn said:
To tell you, mono-unsaturated acids are better than poly-. If you want me to go deeper into the fats, then tell me.

yes, why better ?
they are both useful and have different properties....
and omega 3s are poly-unsaturated fatty acids

Top Bottom