Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Milks

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Comparing Substitutes for Milk - From HalthyNews

Question: What is the best substitute for milk in someone who has a milk allergy? Other than calcium, what are supposed to be the benefits of milk consumption? Of the following milk type products, which would be the best substitute for drinking - cooking with soy, almond, or rice? Are all of these equivalent in meeting nutritional needs as far as the dairy group is concerned or is there a better substitute?

Answer: The beneficial nutrients in milk (besides calcium) include protein, B vitamins, vitamins A and D and phosphorus. Milk is relatively low in calories and fat (if you drink skim or 1 percent).

As for a milk substitute, it is really a matter of taste. Soy milk has the benefits of isoflavones, phytoestrogens and soy protein, but does not contain the same bioavailable calcium as cow's milk. Some people prefer flavored soy milk to plain.

Rice milk (Rice Dream is one brand) has as much calcium, and vitamins A and D as cow's milk. It is also supposed to taste pretty good. Flavors include original, vanilla and carob ("natural" chocolate).

Almond milk is higher in fat than cow's milk, but is cholesterol free since it's not from an animal. It is a good source of calcium and protein, but is not as high in calcium as cow's milk. It is fairly neutral in taste when used in cooking. Almond milk made from scratch will keep for two or three days, refrigerated.

I love milk....but just the real stuff. I tried the soy, almond, etc and it just wasnt the same. But I guess if you have no choice and cant drink regular milk, then soy milk is probably the best alternative.

:elephant:

Top Bottom