Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Microwaving Rolled Oats or oatmeal . . .

cyrex

How do ya'll microwave this stuff? I'm not talking about the stuff that comes in little packets with 3 tbsp of brown sugar in it, but regular old oats.
I've been having a problem with them making a huge mess. I will put about half a cup into a bowl, then a cup of water, stick it int he microwave for 5 minutes, but by 2 or 3 minutes it's bubbling up way above the top of the bowl and ends up outside of the bowl.

I've tried much smaller amounts, but I get the same result. The only way it has worked for me is to make this amount in the biggest bowl that fits in the microwave. I've tried plastic wrap around the bowl, but it gets around that. I tried a bowl that has a lid and the lid popped off and oats exploded all over...

get a bigger bowl or just do it on the stove. i've had that happen sometimes, so I usually watch it if i do it in the micro.

well the problem is I typically am doing this at work, so a bigger bowl is tough as is the stove option :).

I think I might try just soaking the oats for 5-10 minutes before hand and then only microwave them for 2 or 3 minutes a medium power. Maybe that will cook them enough without causing them to get all bubbly

I use a tiny bowl, capacity is probably 2.5 cups or so.... i put a 1/2 cup of rolled plain, ugly oats in. Just enough water to saturate the oats and heat on high for 30 seconds (powerful microwave).

I think minutes is way overkill... unless it's a poorly powered microwave.

I never supersaturate the oats to where I see water before I microwave them. Just enough to be on the brink of too much water.

I do mine pretty much the same way sgtslaughter does his, but I micro mine for about a minute in a regular sized bowl. Works great with no mess at all.

hmm
i guess I've been going for a goup rather than some softened/warmed oats.. I'll try that (in about 45 minutes)

5 minutes, wow. i put 1/2 cup oats in with water for 30 sec like sgt said. thats all. lately, ive been making protein pancakes which are awsome. 1/2 cup rolled oat, 1 tbsp natty pb, 1/2 cup eggwhites, .25 cup of eggwhite protein. blend up and cook like a pancake in a pan. ~400 cals 40g protein/31g carbs/11g fat (mostly efa's). throw some no sugar syrup and thats it

I get a variety of oatmeal called scottish oats, it's oatmeal with more body to it, but this method will work with ANY variety:

Place water in bowl, NOT oats, just water.

Nuke to boiling in microwave.

Dump in oatmeal, stir briefly.

Cover tightly, preferably with a plate, something that holds in heat better than plastic wrap.

Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.

Stir before eating.

You might want to nuke em up for 30 seconds or so if you want them piping hot, you'll probably have to play with quantities of oatmeal and water, but I promise you this WILL work.

The thing you have to remember, oatmeal (NOT steel cut oats) is ALREADY cooked. No reason to run it through more heat, you just want to hydrate it and bring it up to the temperature you like.

Top Bottom