Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Maximum temperature to heat healthy oils in cooking recipes

|D_J^B_J|

Anyone know what is the maximum temperature to heat oils such as olive and canola to ensure they do not lose their benefits? Or even worse, before they become the dreaded (LDL) cholesterol raising, testosterone lowering trans-fats (hydrogenated)?

When I make omelettes or stir-fry veggies/rice in a pan with extra-virgin olive oil, I always use a low-medium heat and the other day I made some sugar-free chocolate muffins with the muffin mixture, olive oil spread (free of trans-fats), water and beated egg cooked for 8 minutes on 180 degrees celsius. Is this okay, or should I lower the heat and let them cook for longer next time, or use only water and no oil instead?

That article doesn't answer my question, but it is helpful. :)

The article clarifies that only polyunsaturated oils such as soy, corn, cottonseed and canola can be hydrogenated... and the chemical reaction requires a catalyst. So olive oil cannot turn into a trans-fat.

Can anyone recommend a maximum temperature to heat extra-virgin olive oil in order to ensure it does not lose its benefits?

Not sure if this answers your questiong, but every oil has whats called its own "smoking point", meaning the maxium temp it can be heated b4 it burns or "smokes". Peanut oil has the highest smoking point, which is why its used in deep frying, and high temp stir fry chinese food, where olive oil has a low smoking point. Iam not sure how temp in any case affects its nutritinal value. I would assume it dosent, in an oil form?????

That chart helps a lot. Thanks!

The only oils I eat are olive oil, flax oil (not for cooking) and fish oil (not for cooking)... So the chart tells me that EV olive oil is strictly limited to dressing, not cooking; and that regular olive oil can be heated up to 320 deg fahrenheit or 174 deg celcius.

Since most of the refined vegetable oils with a high smoke point contain such a high (omega 6):(omega 3) ratio, I think I'll just use unsalted butter (limited amounts) next time I need to bake/stir-fry on high heat. Butter is primarily saturated fat, but contains equal amounts of omega 6s and omega 3s.
A healthy diet (as I'm sure you all know) should not contain such a large discrepancy of omega 6s to omega 3s.

I've completely forgotten the profile of coconut and palm oils... and there's so much controversy these days (fringe, not fringe - you decide). But, those are tropical oils and IIRC bunch of people use them for cooking... generally speaking though the less you heat any oil the better (due to acrylamides? I forget). There are at least some people saying coconut has benefits to metabolism and other stuff.. may not be what you're looking for though.

Top Bottom