Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Maintenance Calories

gymtime

I know this is a newbie question, but I've done a search and can't find anything. How do you determine your maintenance calories?

I should add that the above is a generalization. There are several factors that can influence it, such as activity level, genetics, if you have dieted for an extended period, etc.

I'm 6' 1", around 215. Been lifting for eight years. Over the last nine weeks, I've been doing am cardio (avg of 40 mins, 3x/week), also pm HIT cardio 1x/wk, normal lifting routine (3-day split), cutting diet (roughly 2700 cals).

Typical day:

8:30am 1 cup oatmeal mixed with shot of mrp

11:30am chicken and brown rice

2pm mrp

4:30pm 2 tuna/canola mayo/sweet relish mixture in wheat tortilla

6:30pm egg white/mrp/flax oil shake

7:30 workout

9:15 chicken or lean steak and veg

Cals: 2700, 50/25/25 ratio. Supps include multivitamin every am, glutamine post workout.

I've been doing this for nine weeks. I've lost a little weight, but I think I should be much lower in bf by now (although I haven't been able to actually measure it, I'm going by sight). I feel like I've only gotten smaller, not more cut which was the intention. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm... The overall ratios look decent.

A few things I worry about are the MRPs during the day.... maltodextrin is a lousy source of carbs unless it's directly before or after a workout. Lack of carbs post-workout would also make me feel pretty flat... going to bed with low(er) glycogen levels isn't ideal.

The food choice is good, but.... I've got a question: How do you FEEL? You tired most of the time? Feeling weak/depleted? Or are you feeling pretty good? How many sets in your routines?

And it's worth picking up some calipers, just to check. Unless you're low in bodyfat, sometimes sight can be very deceptive.

Belial said:
The food choice is good, but.... I've got a question: How do you FEEL? You tired most of the time? Feeling weak/depleted? Or are you feeling pretty good? How many sets in your routines?

And it's worth picking up some calipers, just to check. Unless you're low in bodyfat, sometimes sight can be very deceptive.

I wouldn't say that I'm tired a lot. I usually feel like I have enough gas in the tank to get through the day ok. However I'm extremely hungry a lot, especially for the 4:30pm and 9pm meals. I was thinking of switching my last two meals, making the shake post workout. My lifts are also way down, which I'm not thrilled about but I expected it. I do 9-10 sets a night, lifting heavy as possible, low reps, that kind of thing.

The main reason for the the afternoon mrp (roughly 48p/4c/2f) is to keep the metabolism going and the protein nice and high. Also forgot to mention that I have a cheat day on saturdays. I don't go overboard in volume, but it's typically pretty crappy, wonderful food.

40/40/20

keep a 40 40 20 split.
Simplest way to do this is keep a log of everything you eat brother. every single thing you put in your mouth. then weigh yourself each day at the exact same time. balance out the food until your not gaining or losing weight for at least 4 weeks in a row, that would be your maintenance weight. Also keep your water intake at the same amount each day.

hey gymmy wahts up man.
I see that your still at the dieting man. Keep it up!!!!! :D

I would make a couple of changes thoug, the food choices look good, but i would change the meal order a but, plan the meals with more carbs closer to your work out.
I would certainly allow a good carb+prot meal right after training. Plus i agree with par 15 is a good guide rule. But i have a side note, i find it very hard to determine maintance cals when your dieting cause you body is actually adjusting to a lower caloric intake. And your maintance is actually dropping that way. If you dont know your maintance from "normal" diet periods, i would just go by the guideline of trying to lose a pound a week mayb 2. And adjust your intake according to that.

And btw i aint no t-shirt man :p

_jaap_ said:
hey gymmy wahts up man.
I see that your still at the dieting man. Keep it up!!!!! :D

I would make a couple of changes thoug, the food choices look good, but i would change the meal order a but, plan the meals with more carbs closer to your work out.
I would certainly allow a good carb+prot meal right after training. Plus i agree with par 15 is a good guide rule. But i have a side note, i find it very hard to determine maintance cals when your dieting cause you body is actually adjusting to a lower caloric intake. And your maintance is actually dropping that way. If you dont know your maintance from "normal" diet periods, i would just go by the guideline of trying to lose a pound a week mayb 2. And adjust your intake according to that.

And btw i aint no t-shirt man :p

I know bro......Tshirt BOY!! :FRlol:

At 15, mine would be around 3300. I'll consider that normal, not dieting maintenance, so I'll take off 200 cals let's say, leaving 3100. That leaves me at 300-400 cals below maintenance.

I'll try to keep at it. I'll switch that last shake to post workout and see how that goes. But I've been a little sick lately and haven't been eating hardly anything or going to the gym, plus Tday's coming up. I'm about this close to saying "fuck it" and start again after the holidays. But I hate to flush all the work I've done so far. We'll see. Thanks jaap. :)

Top Bottom