Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is liver a good source of protein?

keranna

hi , I am constantly looking for new sources of lean protein.. kind of tired of chicken and fish... is liver o.k. even though it is red meat ?:fro:

Liver is a great source of protein and micronutrients, lots of people have also had success while using dessicated liver tablets.

bro i hate dessicated liver! I like many people i've also heard started having bleeding gums w/ this. And the iron you're receiving from this is waaaaaaaaaay too much. Men don't need that much iron.

And as far as liver, i'm not sure how good it is as a protein source but i do know that the liver metabolizes steroids and hormones. So you can probobly bet that organ is full of crap since it does so much for the body and metabolizes the above as well as toxins in the body.

riskybizz007 said:
bro i hate dessicated liver! I like many people i've also heard started having bleeding gums w/ this. And the iron you're receiving from this is waaaaaaaaaay too much. Men don't need that much iron.

I agree with riskybizz007,

dessicated liver
* has way too much iron
* is a concentrate of toxins
* may be contaminated (mad cow desease)

"You mean that you would actually WANT to eat liver?!"

Touche Bikinimom!

For any of you who are interested in eating more like our ancestors ate (such a paleolithic/Atkin's/protein power advocates), you should consider that paleolithic hunters almost certainly ate the (raw) liver, heart and kidneys of their kill first. These are the most nutrient dense (including proteins, glycogen and vitamin C in the liver) and advantageous meats to eat. The liver is not too high in iron as long as you're not eating very much skeletal muscle, ie it's prolly better to eat liver INSTEAD of red meat, not in addition to.

MS said:
These are the most nutrient dense (including proteins, glycogen and vitamin C in the liver) and advantageous meats to eat. The liver is not too high in iron as long as you're not eating very much skeletal muscle, ie it's prolly better to eat liver INSTEAD of red meat, not in addition to.

"fresh" liver as an alternative meat .... YES
(I do especially like chicken liver)

but dessicated liver... NO
(too much iron, full of toxins,...)

Good points by everyone on this topic. I agree that liver has way to many toxins.....then again it detoxifies the body so what do we expect. One more thing, liver is super high in cholesterol. The liver actually produces enough cholesterol for our bodies to survive, and when you consume it you are getting way too much. Later

Ryan

Top Bottom