Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A little philosohpy on focus!!

latinhire

"When I look at the growing plants I see so clearly the true meaning of single mind and real mind. Plants are not disturbed by others. Always they are themselves single minded-they really fulfill what they want to do. Not violating or being violated is such a strong and gently characteristic...If a person is this single minded and concentrated on his own life, then the whole world harmonizes with that life as if welcoming it. Go on without hesitating, straight, advancing in a direct line with your feet stepping squarely on the earth...Since my old self is being destroyed moment by moment, I tear up this tendency to cling to this old self. Always I go the way of the single mind, the way of concentration…Cherry flowers open on the cherry tree, green willow buds come up out of the willow tree. For the cherry flowers and willow buds the whole world is the world of their opening under the heavens and on earth. How rich, impressive, and friendly they both are. What yearning forms they have. Listen carefully for the inner voice and sharpen your ear of inner hearing to catch the real mind speaking among so many other voices. We can’t help tasting our simple honesty in doing so." Akegarasu

FREE WILL, HOW DO WE EXPLAIN?

It is not my purpose here to establish this thesis of free will in general, but only in one specific respect which was receives comparatively little attention, namely, the field referred to as that of unconscious motivation.

Let me try to summarize very briefly the psychoanalytic doctrine on the point. The conscious life of the human being, including the conscious decisions and volitions, is merely a mouthpiece for the unconscious--not directly for the enactment of unconscious drives, but of the compromise between unconsicious drives and unconscious reproaches. There is a Big Three behind the scenes which the automation called the conscious personality carries out: the id, an "external gimme," presents its wish and demands its immediate satisfaction; the super-ego says no to the wish immediately upon presentation, and the unconscious ego, the mediator between the two, tries to keep peace by means of compromise.

The question: Are we free willed beings?

Mr.X :cool:

As outlined in your exposition, it would seem to me that the "unconcious ego" is the manifestation of free will. Keeping the balance between id and super ego requires a choice; either giving in to the id or the super ego.

Delving any deeper would involve a great deal of semantic argument about the word "conscious". I'm not sure I want to go there :)

I'll define the Webster's Dictionary way of showing us consciousness:

First:
Consciously-with knowledge of one's own mental operations or action
Therefore;
Conscious-knowledge of mental operations or action

Let me also define Conscience:
Conscience- knowledge or feeling of right and wrong; the faculty, power, or principle of a person which decides on the lawfulness or unlawfulness of his action.

Hmmm, now, how do we know what's right and what's wrong? Who is to decide?

If you guys aren't careful, you're going to ruin our reputation as "big dumb weighlifters" we've all worked so hard to achieve.

Gymtime LOL LOL:FRlol: :FRlol: :FRlol:

Oh man, you made my day lol

P.S. good point, we should really come up with some dumb ideas, i.e. what is the calorie count of letuce? and how can I use this in lifting 500lbs. on my bench press? lol

Aaaaahhhhhh, to be appreciated in one's own lifetime!!

Thanks Mr. X!

I'll start with, "how do you spell weightlifter?"

But hey, I'm holding up the image and that's all that's important.

Mr. X,

Right and wrong? Free Will?

Ive always felt that these are all arguementative concepts, for they all are truly reliant on an individuals perception. Such as the state of freedom...or freedom of thought...all these concepts vary among individuals...Our perception does not identify the outside world as it realy is, but the way we are allowed to recognize it, as a consequence of transformations performed by our senses and inate feeling derived from our experiences and social upbringing.

Impartiality is the way:

Who understands does not preach;
Who preaches does not understand.

Reserve your judgments and words;
Smooth differences and forgive disagreements;
Dull your wit and simplify your purpose;
Accept the world.

Then,
Friendship and enmity,
Profit and loss,
Honour and disgrace,
Will not affect you;