Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ketosis, aye!!!

Stubby

Right, I finally decided to start my ketogenic diet after finding some flax oil (darn expensive!) at a local health shop...

Today is my first day and I am already craving for carbs, ive eaten a little chilli sauce with some chicken thighs (with skin) and it has High Fructose Glucose in it (should have read the label more clearly) I only had a small qty so I assume ill be ok... anyways, im (planning) to follow this routine:

6:30am - Protein Shake + 1 tbsp flax oil
9:30am - babybel cheese + pork rinds
12:30pm - chicken thigh/breast (with skin)
3:30pm - Protein Shake + 1tbsp of flax oil
7:00pm - bacon (fried) 2 eggs (fried)
9:00pm - 1 tbsp flax oil...

I plan to do a 2 day carb up every 5 days (do i eat normally here??? clean obviously)

Drinking as much water as I can. Plan to do it for 2 weeks and check progress. Need to loose about 14 lbs of fat.

Any advice, insults etc are more than welcome... ta

I still can't see why people deprive themselves of CHO... If you add up your Kcals all your doing is taking in lower Kcals than normally. I like my CHO to much to toss them out of my diet.LOL...

Do me a favor, if you dont' mind, get your body fat tested, and firgure out your lean body mass. Then after two weeks, get your BF tested again, and could you post your results? Post your BF,Leanbody mass, before and after ect...
If your to busy for that, cool, I am just instrested in the results. :D

Good luck!!!

cool

Diet looks pretty familiar:D What's your workout schedule look like? Just interested in if/when you're doing cardio and/or weight training.

I am not doing cardio at the moment. My workout consist of:

ARMS AND ABS DAY
--ARMS--
ez bar curls 5 sets of 6
tri kickbacks 5 of 6
forearm curls (palms up) 3-10
forearm curls (palmd down) 3-10
dumbell hammer curls 5-6
tricep extension 5-6
--ABS--
crunches 3-10
leg raises 3-10
alternate cruches (obliques etc) 3-10

SHOULDERS AND CHEST DAY
--CHEST--
Dumbell flys to pre-exhaust chest 5-6
Dumbell press 5-10
Barbell press 5-10
pushups 3-20
--SHOULDERS--
Upright rows 5-6
military press 5-6
dumbell side raises 5-6

BACK AND LEGS DAY
--BACK--
Bent over rowing 5-6
bent over side raises 5-6
Shrugs 5-6
Deadlifts 5-6
--LEGS--
Squats 5-6 (kills me, dunno why)
calf raises 5-6

Then 2 days rest and repeat above. I definatly feel a lack of energy in my workouts now though and last night only managed 3 sets on the 5 set workouts... never felt tired like that before.

Was thinking of starting the empty stomach morning cardio thing but with no energy i doubt I would manage much cardio.

Things seem to be going well but with no ketosis sticks I cant check my progress... ive heard about the smelly apple breath and wee but I cant say ive noticed anything in those areas... This is now day 3 and my carb cravings are not really noticable. Im getting bored already with what im eating so maybe I am craving carbs. Im gonna stick with it for 2 weeks and see what happens.

ohhh, I forgot to mention, I have a strong black coffe in the morning cus as I understand it, its a thermogen (correct me im wrong).

To me though the above does not seem like im getting enough fat, im doing any precise monitoring of content of foods... basically, if it contains carbs, I aint eating it... ive a feeling the above maybe be protein biased which will not be good... maybe its just a case of uping the flax oil somwhat. Im about to start adding nuts to my diet also as Im led to believe that taking in different types of GOOD fats is beneifical. Maybe the organic peanut butter?

What about salted peanuts etc? Would these be bad?

Lots of food have percentages of carbs, which, while small, can add up. Corinne Netzer's book is the carb-o-phobe's bible. Or try an on-line site. Also, many processed foods have "hidden" carbs--read the labels.

Maybe more fat

When are your workouts taking place? I would definitely start the morning cardio. I know it's hard but it's the best time to burn fat. Yes coffee is thermogenic and will give you a CNS boost to get you through the day but if you can I'd combine it with ephedrine, also known as the ECA stack. Take in your thermogenics before your morning cardio and it will help you get through it. Also, some others may disagree with me but I believe taking in half your daily carbs AFTER your workout. This will help with insulin levels and protein synthesis thus helping you keep your LBM. You figure you're fasting for approx 8 hours after your last meal (sleep). Others say to take in carbs in the morning to get you through the day.
Peanut butter is good as are salted peanuts. I eat cashews to help keep me sane while dieting, not too much and at the right time to keep the cravings down. They do have carbs in them but you have to give yourself a little unless you're trying to completely cut out carbs, which is very hard. I usually go down to about 40-60gms/day when doing a CKD. This is barely enough to keep me in ketosis.
If you're doing back the same day as legs right before then squats will definitely kill you. Especially after deadlifts and bent rows. They're both major muscle groups and I'd suggest separating them. Legs is the biggest muscle group we have and should have a separate workout day. Gtg, hope the info helps.

I'm almost willing to guarantee that your fatloss will grind to a halt after about one month on your current routing/diet.

Simply put: You are not consuming enough calories to support your routine. Reduce the number of sets you do by 50%, or, only workout every 2nd day, or three times/week max.

I've seen many many people who have undergone similar routines/diets, only to have their metabolism grind to a halt after about one month due to too few calories.

Ketogenic diets work, but the #1 cause of poor results is insufficient calories. If you insist on doing the big workouts, then you better be eating enough calories or your metabolism is guaranteed to take a nose dive. For your workout, I'd recommend 13 calories for every pound of bodyweight. If you dip below 11, after the initial water loss in the first month, you lose muscle tissue and fat loss will halt.

Also, I wouldn't even think of aerobics unless you back off your workload by 50% and increase calories by 20%.

As far as workouts go, I strongly recommend you switch to a reverse pyramid style of routine in which you move to your heaviest weight you can handle for 8 reps after a brief warmup. After each set, reduce the weight by 10-15%, then repeat the lift. Pick two exercises per bodypart, and train with 3 sets per exercise - Total 6 sets per bodypart. Reverse pyramids are a form of high intensity, especially when you're resting only 45 seconds between sets, thus you only need a few sets for the exercise to be effective.

With reverse pyramids, you should see your strength skyrocket after after the first month. You should be able to train 3 bodyparts in a single 40 minute session, then go home and rest for 48 hours before returning. Ideally, 3 days per week is best.

I have people at my gym following a similar routine based on a cyclic ketogenic diet and brief exercise based on reverse pyramids. This was per my recommendation. All of these people are eating a minimum of 12 calories per pound, all are working out no more than 3 times a week to preserve calories to avoid catabolism, all are doing zero aerobics, all are averaging a bodyfat loss of just over 1.5 lbs a week. Note: These people have been on a program that I have helped design for them for over 6 weeks now. This is not water they are losing, it's pure bodyfat.

A lot of people lose weight quickly when they start a ketogenic diet for the first time. What they don't realise is that they are losing water weight initially, not bodyfat. They think their weight loss will continue to progress as quickly as it did the first month. The majority of these people will crash and burn after one month when the cells are cleared of water. weight loss will stop, metabolism will drop bigtime, they will get discouraged and flock to the messageboards for help, and inexperienced people will give them bad advise. i.e tell them to increase their aerobics, whereas they should be increasing their calories, or reducing their caloric expenditure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom