Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ketosis & insulin sensitivity

Natural One

I've read both so could someone clear this up? Does Ketosis increase or decrease insulin sensitivity? and what about ECA?

'Ketosis' does decrease insulin sensitivity. However, ECA supposedly increases insulin sensitivity. But, I have not seen any ECA studies that are feasible or believable.
I use Chromium Picolinate, in order to somewhat increase insulin sensitivity. Remember, only long-term 'Ketonic' states, that do not include a carb-up, will put you into viable decreased insulin sensitivity state.
Mr.X

I'll second that. Short term high fat diets (aka CKD) will reduce your insulin sensitivity whereas long term keto diets will increase sensitivity. For this reason many people get better results if they use 'glucose disposal agents' both until they're in ketosis and also at the beginning of the carb-up phase. I have no idea whether addition of ECA improves sensitivity on a CKD. I suspect it may help, but it becomes a moot point once you've entered ketosis.

I don't know how long it takes for insulin sensitivity to return to more 'normal' levels on a strict keto diet. I think it depends A LOT on the individual, the exact diet, how severe their insensitivity was to begin with blah blah blah......One thing I'm pretty sure of is that if you return to a "normal" american high carb diet after a spell of ketosis you can expect you insulin insensitivity to come back pretty quickly (and with a vengeance if you're an average female). In other words don't take on a CKD or ketogenic diet lightly if you haven't looked at and thought about the long term consequences. It may be a great means to drop fat in the short term (and look good in a bikini for the summer, or ripped for a show), but if you're interested in long term control of body fat then I feel you should rethink your options carefully. Read more, ask more questions etc.....In a nutshell I think that most people need to design a LIFESTYLE (as opposed to a diet) around minimizing glycemic/ insulin response. This could be "keto-for-life" for some folks, "lots of whole grains, veggies and beans/legumes" for other folks, and other intermediate options for some people. Of course if you're a hardcore bodybuilder then you'll want to go for that high GI/insulin response post workout. This is a great way to add muscle, but may not be optimal for loooong term health.

Top Bottom