Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ketogenic diet

goldsgirl

I started this type of diet Monday and am still not in ketosis. My diet on Monday was eggs, bacon, hamburgers, roast beef. Tuesday was eggs, bacon, hamburgers, steak. Today was eggs, bacon and hamburgers. I just got my period this morning. I also am drinking Crystal Light in the evening and chewing sugarless gum. But I really feel there are not enough carbs. I've searched the boards but don't see anyone with this problem. Any suggestions?

Some people reach ketosis faster than others. Both your liver and mucsle cells will need to be depleted of their stores before the body switches to ketones for fuel. This can take as little as 48 hours to one week.

If after one week you haven't experienced the effects of ketosis, check your diet for hidden sugars. i.e., sauces, creams, marinades, etc.

The body goes into a state of confusion for the first few days as it attempts to adjust. Sometimes nothing happens for 3 days then Boom!!!! It happens.

I would keep carbs very low for the first week to allow you to make the metabolic shift of being a sugar burner, to becoming a fat burner. Thereafter, you can increase your carb intake a little each day, or a lot on a cycle. i.e low carb during the week, high carbs on weekends. Or my personal favorite, allowing one carb load every 3-4 days. Also, make sure you are facilitating ketosis by consuming plenty of water throughout the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the imput. Do you think the menstral cycle could have anything to do with it?
Just trying to get rid of the little bit of fat my lower stomach harbors. Do you feel this is the way to go or any other suggestions?

Ketosis

GG,

If you've NEVER tried to go into ketosis before, you might find it takes at least 3 days.

Also, Crystal Light is a little heavier in carbs than diet soda (4 per 8 oz.), and contains aspertame. If you are drinking a LOT - you may getting more carbs than you think. Also, aspertame slows ketosis for some.

And MANY of the women on low-carb diets I've talked to have said that it is more difficult to get into ketosis, and/or lose weight right before their period. A lot of them, like me, find it easier to jump start around the second or third day of their period.

Fwn

Last edited:
It's certainly possible that your estrogen levels can affect your ability to enter ketosis quickly. In the luteal phase your estrogen levels are relatively high, and estrogen can be considered mildly glucose-sparing in that it increases the proportion of energy you derive from free fatty acids (ie fat). So you may have to work extra hard (high intensity exercise) to force your body to burn glucose. Try some sprints or heavy weight training and see if that helps. Otherwise just be patient, and make sure you're not eating too much protein. Also try some glucose dispersal agents like ALA (alpha-lipoic acid).

Last edited:
MS - ALA?

What's the best way to use ALA's? Time? How long after meals? After carbs? Before carbs? How many mgs. per body weight?

Please enlighten me!

Help.

Fawn

On a keto diet ALA is good for women to use to get into ketosis at around 200mg 3xper day, starting with your last carb meal. If you're CKDing then use it again when you carb up, especially for the first few high GI meals. If you're not on a keto diet then the best time to use ALA is post workout or whenever you have high GI carbs. There is no harm using ALA at other times as well since it's a great antioxidant. If it was in my budget I would probably take 200mg 3x per day every day just as a general supp. If you're prone to hypoglycemia you might want to stay clear of this stuff though.

What are the signs that you are in ketosis? I went on a keto diet for 2 and a half weeks but I had to quit because I couldn't concentrate properly in school, but I am just trying to figure out how you know that you are in ketosis.

-Dean

The only sure way to know that you are in ketosis that I know of is to use keto stix. They are little strips that you piss on and watch to see if it changes color. You can pick them up a most drug stores it will be in the section with the diabetic stuff. Also your urine will have a stronger than usual oder and your girlfriend/boyfriend will frequently offer you some gum or breathmints (bad breath).:cool:

Top Bottom