Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Insulin spiking 101

emmab

Is it the quantity or type of carbs after a workout that create an insulin spike?? Can someone give some guidelines on minimum amounts needed or type of carbs.

Both the types of foods and the quantities in which they are consumed make a difference on the GI ratings. The GI list is based upon a 100gm single carb item. Eating less than the 100gram serving size, which is typical for most, will illicit a higher GI rating. The higher the quantity, the slower the GI. I have no idea of where you could look other than the GI list to find a GI rating of a food in certain quantities.
MR. BMJ

u know when someone refers to low GI carbs, is their really such a thing as a low GI carb other than fructose?? is it really the meal that is low GI?? do u have to count the whole meal ?

for example if u eat some low GI carbs for example oatmeal,then if u add a tablespoon of flax oil,the GI will be lower ,right??

another question, what if u just eat 30 grams of dextrose, and u take it with a tablespoon of flax oil,would it be the same GI as oatmeal by itself with no flax oil ,approxmatly?

fiber and fat are the things that slow down digestion from what ive read in old posts. Are they equal,how exactly does it work, i mean is 1 gram of fiber equivlent to 1 gram of fat in slowing digestion? gram for gram which is better at lowering GI?

Originally posted by chillin408:
u know when someone refers to low GI carbs, is their really such a thing as a low GI carb other than fructose?? is it really the meal that is low GI?? do u have to count the whole meal ?

for example if u eat some low GI carbs for example oatmeal,then if u add a tablespoon of flax oil,the GI will be lower ,right??

another question, what if u just eat 30 grams of dextrose, and u take it with a tablespoon of flax oil,would it be the same GI as oatmeal by itself with no flax oil ,approxmatly?

fiber and fat are the things that slow down digestion from what ive read in old posts. Are they equal,how exactly does it work, i mean is 1 gram of fiber equivlent to 1 gram of fat in slowing digestion? gram for gram which is better at lowering GI?

****CORRECTION HERE*****
I mentioned that the GI list was based on a 100 gram serving, I was wrong, it is 50 grams. Sorry.

CHILLIN, You are right on all your assumptions, good job! You can alter a high GI food with the addition of low GI foods.

Besides Fructose, Lactose is also a slow digesting carb.

Fat VS Fiber? I don't know that one.

***Here are some other factors that effect the GI ratings:

1.) Grain Processing: The less processed a grain is, the smaller the surface area, and the lower the GI.

2.) Gelatinization: This is when water and heat are applied to and cause starch molecules within grains to swell up, which increases surface area, which increases the GI.

3.) Starch composition: The 2 basic structures are Amylose and Amylopectins. Simply, amylose will have a lower GI and Amylopectin will have a higher GI. I will go into more detail if needed.

4.) Fiber: 2 types:
a) Soluble fiber gels up in the stomach and slows gastric emptying.

b) "Insoluble fiber is only worthwhile when it acts as a barrier in an intact grain, so amylase cannot easily reach the starch. Adding insoluble fiber to ground grains...has no impact on the GI index. Commercial white and whole-wheat breads have similar GI's because the grinding of the grain has destroyed the barrier of insoluble fiber."

5.) Sugar composition: Mono, di, trisaccharides, etc...

6.) Protein: Types/composition (liquid or whole).

7.) Acid Content: High acid contents slow down gastric emptying (Pineapple).

8.) Anti-Nutrients: Nutrients that interfere with amylase by binding with the minerals necessary for enzyme function, primarily calcium and potassium. EX.) Oxalic acid, tannins, phytic acid, and lectin.

***One note here, compression, high heat, burst steaming, drying processes, cooking conditions (microwaving, boiling, baking), etc...effect the GI ratings.
MR. BMJ

[This message has been edited by MR. BMJ (edited April 10, 2001).]

MR.BMJ...

Good shit. Maybe you can explain something to me. I read somewhere that the best way to spike insulin levels after training was with a meal that was (sorry, I can't remember the exact ratios here) around 70% carbs, 30% protein. But from what I understand, if a certain food is high on the GI index by itself, wouldn't it be best to consume that particular food alone to get the highest post-training insulin spike possible? I mean, wouldn't the addition of the protein to the immediate post-training meal slow digestion and lower the overall insulin effect in the body?

Just asking, you seem to know your stuff pretty well.

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

This is a good post so far...

I've heard many times over that post workout it is best to consume roughly 100g of dextrose and 30-50g of whey protein. That the combination of fast absorbing carbs and protein will increase the insulin spike more than carbs alone. Then 1-2 hours later a solid food meal should be consumed containing at least 30 grams of protien and 50 grams of carbs.

i use to buy metrx MRP's, they are thick and taste good and i feel full. But they only have i think 2 grams of fat and probably 1 gram or less of fiber per package. But they still seem to keep me full for along time. Do you know why this is?
If i were to have the same amount amount of carbs using grape juice as carb source,whey protein ,and 2 grams of fat from flax oil,i bet u i would not feel full and i would feel weak and probably eat again an hour later?

can u please expand on #5. I thought it doesn't matter if their mono di,tri,etc sacchides. Because glucose and glucose polymers have the same GI,and this goes back the assumption that if a carb is complex(Polymers) that it takes longer to digest. But maybe it does matter in other cases and im forgeting and/or missing something?? if so please correct it

since you offered to go into more detial about #3 "I will go into more detail if needed.", can u please do so,im interested

oh yea just wanted to ask,i hear caseinates are slow digesting,do u know why this is? also could this be one of the reasons for the mrp making me feel full? metrx uses caseinates as 1 of 4 or 5 different protein sources( i forgot the exact about but around 4 or 5). Are caseinates that potent as digestive slower,or is it just overhyped to sell more?

last thing,about # 5,i wanted to ask about dextrose versus maltodextrins. do u know why maltodextrins are usually part of post workout formulas instead of dextrose?
ok is this how it works?.... once u take eat glucose after your workout to replish glycogen, it goes into your muscle and stores as glucose polymers in your muscles,i was i wondering,if u eat maltodextrins ,does it go straight into your muscles as glycogen or does it get broken down into monmer units first then store,so then dextrose would be better? or maybe im missing some steps or something,can someone clear this up

also their was a thread about 3 types of sugars,but i cant find it,it dissepeared it was a great thread. someone posted something along the lines that some glucose polymers depending on length may not be broken down into monmer units i was wondering if anyone remembered the rest of it?im sure im forgeting what that guy said because i cant access that thread anymore,so if thats the case are they just tookin in your muscles or what happens? ok i know this isnt really significant but just wondering

[This message has been edited by chillin408 (edited April 10, 2001).]

Genetiking, I usually just drink my carb source (Ultra Fuel) as soon as I get in my car after my workout. This allows time for the muscles to get glycogenated without any interference from the protein. The problem that we have is that there is no kind of GI rating for proteins, therefore, all we know is that whey is a fast-digesting protein. I doubt whey really has that much of a negative effect to slowing down the absorption of carbs after a workout, but just in case it does, that is what I do. It is usually consumed about a half an hour after I drink my Ultra Fuel (when I get home).
MR. BMJ

Chillin, i'll have to come back tomorrow unless someone answers your question before then because i'm about to pass out from this Vicodin high...hhehehe. I don't want to give some lame answer, or at least one thAt doesn't make sense, if you know what I mean. BTW, I couldn't find that damn article "3 types of sugars" in the freakin archives. Maybe Valdez has a link or a printout with the link on it because if I remember right, he was the one who posted the thread. A damn good thread that might be lost. It was on the supplements board. I think that was the thread we went over and explained maltodextrins and fructose. Take it easy man, i'm outty here. Maybe MS will be around later.
MR. BMJ

its all good,i know what u mean,the last part of that post when i was asking maltodextrins versus dextrose i was rushing too i was trying to hit the gym to do something real quick before they close,so some of the stuff i said could have been stupid and not made sense,anyway there is something wrong with the board recently, theirs been hella glitches/problems lately and many topics just dissipear,i think that was one of them,if someone has an old link for it it might still pop up though,i dont know,i remember looking for it a few weeks ago,and at that time it should have just been on page 2 or 3,and i couldnt find it,i even looked on the diet board just incase i was off,

this topic may have just dissepeared with no explanation but im positive that on other occasions someone was responsible topic dissipearence's

Top Bottom