Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I have been saying this for years people.. stay away from sushi/fish at restaurants!

stevesmi

Head Mod
Elite Moderator

Nearly three in five New York City grocery stores and restaurants that sell seafood have mislabeled part of their stock, substituting varieties that could cause health problems, according to a new study.
Some 39 percent of the fish obtained for the study by the ocean conservation group Oceana was inaccurately identified, Oceana said. Sometimes cheap fish is substituted for more expensive varieties or plentiful species for scarce ones.
Forensic DNA analysis revealed 58 percent of 81 New York retailers and eateries sampled incorrectly labeled the seafood they sold, according to the study released Tuesday.

"It's unacceptable that New York seafood lovers are being duped more than one-third of the time when purchasing certain types of fish," Kimberly Warner, a senior scientist at Oceana and an author of the study, said in a news release.
In some instances, consumers unknowingly purchased fish that could pose health risks.
Blueline tilefish masqueraded as halibut and red snapper. The FDA urges pregnant women, nursing mothers and small children to avoid tilefish given its high mercury content.
All but one of the 17 white tuna samples obtained from sushi restaurants turned out to be escolar, a fish whose diarrhea-inducing properties earned it the nickname the "ex-lax fish."
Mislabeled seafood can present a public health concern because many hazards are species specific, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) spokeswoman said in an email. Allergic reactions and food-borne illnesses are some of the possible health hazards, the spokeswoman said.
New York's rate of seafood mislabeling was higher than Miami's (31 percent) but lower than that of Boston (48 percent) and Los Angeles (55 percent), according to recent Oceana investigations.
What distinguishes New York's seafood marketplace from those of the other American cities Oceana tested is the presence of smaller, independent food stores, 40 percent of which sold mislabeled fish, Warner said in an interview. In contrast, only 12 percent of seafood bought at national chain grocery stores in New York were labeled incorrectly.

The problem is not new. A study appearing in a 1992 issue of Consumer Reports found about a third of the seafood sampled in New York, Chicago, and San Jose was incorrectly labeled.
Nor is seafood mislabeling an issue that has gone unreported. The discovery in August 2011 that Zabar's, a gourmet food store on Manhattan, had been passing off crawfish as lobster in its lobster salad for at least 15 years was the subject of multiple, high-profile media stories.

Re: I have been saying this for years people.. stay away from sushi/fish at restauran

catch your own fish!!!

even if you catch it in a retention pond its atleast you know what you are eating!

also if you ever order red snapper LMAO, you are ordering at best another type of snapper if you are lucky but more likely some cheap rip off fish. i live on the gulf and red snapper season is very short and even during season you can only keep 2 per person and they must be of legal size. so the odds that you are actually eating a red snapper is 1 in a million

Re: I have been saying this for years people.. stay away from sushi/fish at restauran

I live in NY and I like sushi..but totally understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately I can not catch my own fish...and even if I could I'd probably go hungry since I SUCK at fishing
:p

^^^ better keep plenty of laxatives on hand in case the fish they use is escolar.

btw where i live there is a fish called 'ribbonfish' .. its the ugliest and nastiest looking fish you will ever see.. looks like an eel/snake. (google it). anyway every night at the bridges a bunch of Asians with restaurant connections go out there and fish all night for them. they catch as many as they can and sell them off to the restaurants to be used in sushi. (or the families of the owners that were brought here from south Asia get paid a few bucks per fish) its the most disgusting fish ever, and the meat is dark and bloody. pretty much a junk fish... next time you eat sushi remember the pic of that fish, that could be what you are eating.

next time you eat sushi ask the waiter what kind of fish is in it. and then when he tells you ask him if he actually saw the fish or if they just brought in a bunch of meat.

catch your own fish!!!

even if you catch it in a retention pond its atleast you know what you are eating!

also if you ever order red snapper LMAO, you are ordering at best another type of snapper if you are lucky but more likely some cheap rip off fish. i live on the gulf and red snapper season is very short and even during season you can only keep 2 per person and they must be of legal size. so the odds that you are actually eating a red snapper is 1 in a million

Here that is a recreational limit and is almost the same as commercial except for the size difference. You figure it would be more. I do agree, best to know where it comes from...a lot of stuff marked "wild" was actually farmed raised and fed corn, grain, and other junk.

Top Bottom