Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hydrostatic Bodyfat testing

Measuring your Body Fat Percentage (BFP) can be done in one of four possible ways:

1) Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA)
2) Sknifold Measurement
3) Hydrostatic Weighing Tanks
4) Infrared Interactance

Of these, the hydrostatic method is considered the most accurate but also the most uncomfortable. As to price, you need to decide if knowing your BFP is crucial to your development. Alot of people just go off a visual sighting to see how they are developing in terms of their definition. However, some are better at this than others. At 50 US$, I would think that the price is reasonable when you compare it to the price of supplements you are eventually going to put through your body.

Last edited:
I would at the beginning and at the end of a 12 week program... in the middle, I would go for either skinfold or BIA JUST FOR trend-management.

Pintoca

I'd pay that much for a DEXA test (the MOST accurate method), but not for a hydro. Skinfolds will generally be within a couple of percentage points of the hydro and the leaner you are, the closer the two measures should be. You should easily be able to find somebody that's trained in performing skinfolds to do the test real cheap (<$5) if not for free.

RonBurgundy said:
I'd pay that much for a DEXA test (the MOST accurate method), but not for a hydro. Skinfolds will generally be within a couple of percentage points of the hydro and the leaner you are, the closer the two measures should be. You should easily be able to find somebody that's trained in performing skinfolds to do the test real cheap (<$5) if not for free.

DEXA (Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry) is primarily used for measuring bone density but it also has the benefit of determining body fat percentage and exactly where the fat is distrubuted throughout the body. Like you said, it is very acurate but expect to pay more for this procedure if it is available in your area. The full-body x-ray scan takes 10-20 minutes to complete. The Hydrostatic meathod is usally available at many Universities.

I use getdunked every 8 weeks or so. They're good. Last time I checked they had buy3-get1free deals as well.

One thing to be careful of, though - and this is speaking from experience: go in with the same level of dehydration. I am typically on a low-carb diet, so I make sure to go in after one day of no carbs. Not after a lifting day, since you will have replenished your glycogen store that day and will walk in with 2-3lbs more water than you normally hold.

Or do go in that way, just make sure the retest is under the same conditions.

Looking forward to my test three weeks from now...

Top Bottom