Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much protein should I get post workout?

ConstantChange

I weigh around 180 lbs. My source of protein is chicken cooked on the foremen. Each strip is about 1 gram of fat and 20 grams of protein. I usually eat 4 strips to give me 80 grams of post workout protein. Is this enough?

Another question is what should I eat pre-workout. I have to sit in class from 9:00 am to around 2:00 pm with no breaks for food the days I workout. Then I have about 30 mins to go to the house and rest and eat before I have to hit the gym. I've been eating 2 sandwhiches with chicken lunch meat. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could eat that could give me some energy to help me through my workout?

40-60g should be good...just make sure you are getting plenty of carbs with that.

You need to be eating more. Drink some MRP's or bars or something...cook your food and take it with you in a cooler to class. I go nowhere without a cooler...

B True

I definately need to find a way to eat somewhere between 9 to 2. I do have 15 min breaks in between classes but it takes almost that long to walk across campus between buildings. I guess I could eat some type of protien/energy bar as I walk. I don't think the professors would take to me eating something in class.

Anyone have suggestions on things I could eat as I walk to class that don't taste like ass? Most the protien type bars I've tried in the past aren't the best tasting things in the world.

post workout protein should be derived from whey at 16 to 20 grams with 75 grams simple high GI carbs (50/50 split dextrose/maltodextrin) followed by the food meal 1-1.5 hours later. The reason for the lessened amount of protein is due to the physiological effects of the protein (whey) as it is utilized - you want the protein to be assimulated rapidly (driven by the carbs) - however too much protein and the amino flush into the system will be so high that it would actually counteract your desired goal.

the optimnal range of protein taken post work-out for recovery is 16-20 grams (there are over two dozen sport specific studies that support this amount of protein).

Ivy et al 1988, Bloomer, Rasmussen and vanLoon all have recently published research conducted last two years (2000) as it relates nutrient uptake in muscle cells post workout.

Last edited:
Designer protein bars are really good....they have about 15 gms of carbs and about 6 gms of fat...depending on which bar you get. I like every flavor of them. Sometimes...you don't care how much something tastes like "ass"...if you want to grow...and need to get it in your body...you will still eat it!!! lol.

what night fly said. I did the protein bar thing, and I didn't see a difference since my diet was purely protein. there are bars that boast 35 grams of protein as well. make sure you get some carb intake so you dont get all tired throughout your busy ass day.

N-Large by Prolab is a great post workout drink. 600 calories, 53 grams of protein, 86 grams of carbs and tastes great.

Top Bottom