Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much protein for beginners?

USA_CrazyOx

My cousin joined a weighttraining class this semester for his highschool and he asked me yesterday if theres any advice i can give him to help him maximize his gains (not his words.). His ultimate goal was the same goal I had when I started lifting, to lose weight, and put on muscle. Coming from an asian family, I wasnt surprised to learn he wasnt getting the necessary protein he needed in a day, less than 60 grams from what he told me he ate that day. He currently weighs 190 lbs, which is more than I weigh (yea, hes fat). So I would feel stupid recommending he eat 1.5x his bw in protein since, thats more than I take in, and he has very little muscle to use that protein anyway. So how much? I'm thinking of recommending 110g, like i said, 190 lbs, roughly 5'10", and a wheel around his stomach.

To gain lean mass one should eat 1.5 to 2 grams of pro per/lb. LEAN muscle mass, yes.

~SC~

~SC~ said:
To gain lean mass one should eat 1.5 to 2 grams of pro per/lb. LEAN muscle mass, yes.

~SC~

I personally think that's overkill if he's not on any gear. I take in 1gram/pound, and grow just fine. Replace the extra cals w/ either low GI carbs or healthy fats.

NoWork said:
I personally think that's overkill if he's not on any gear. I take in 1gram/pound, and grow just fine. Replace the extra cals w/ either low GI carbs or healthy fats.

I agree on the 1 gram / pound principle.

~SC~ said:

~SC~

Yeah, 50 grams every 3 hours is a standard as well. Unless it's PW, then your shake should have at least 50 grams and your next meal should come 1 1/2 hours after with at least the same amount of protein.

Top Bottom