Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how long does it take for an ectomorph to gain mass?

audiophyle

Just wondering roughly how long I'm going to have to keep training before I start seeing any major results. I've only been training seriously for about 2 months so my patience is still in good shape, but i need to set some kind of realistic goal and i dont know what that is.
For example, I've been stuck at the same weight on my bench press since I've started. I can't add a single pound. Every now and then I can get an extra rep or two but that doesnt guaruantee that I can repeat it the next week. Is this normal to have so much trouble progressing?
Are there any other ectomorphs that can relate and have finally made some gains? how long did it take you and what were the keys to your success??
thanks

My friend had some major trouble gaining. He felt as if he was training as hard as he could and eating a good diet. Well i suggested getting more sleep (like an extra 1-2 hours when possible) and taking something to boost energy during workout, since he wrestles he didn't want to take caffeine so he took some ginseng shit.( not really farmilair with that stuff but it was some kind of ginseng, he took care of this part for himself) well immediately he felt himself having better workouts and with the added sleep he jumped up in wieght in nearly all his exercises, he put on some great lean mass in no time. So keep at it and look at the basics, supps can help and even u wanna stay natural ginseng is natural :) good luck man

I started 10 years ago and weighed 140 lbs @ 6' 2". I was a hard gainer and never could put on weight until I started lifting. I worked out hard and drank protein shakes. After about 3 months or so I started gaining weight and lifting heavier. I gained about 5 lbs a month until I reached 170 lbs. For the first couple of years the weight came steadily until I reached 170 lbs and then I seamed to just lift the same weight and gained nothing. I worked out off and on until about 3 years ago when I started taking PHs and recently PSs. My weight now is around 218, my BF is pretty low, and I lift way heavier now then I've ever lifted.

The bottom line is consistency, get your protein, and sleep. You'll gain, your body has no choice if you feed it, work it, and rest it! Also, remember to push yourself to lift heavier.

I went my entire High School years weighing 135 lbs. I see some old High School people every now and then, and the first thing they think is that I've been doing Steroids for 10 years.

Keep at it
:D

your question in absurd!

why dont you just quit training altogether!

dude.... pump and shut up. the results will come whenever you decide you are ready to give it 100%.

fuck you satch. I give it 100% every time i step into the gym. Not all of us gain weight as easy. I've never lifted weights before so unfortunatly for you, I have to ask a fucking question every now and then. If you dont like it, then dont open the thread.

anyways, thanks for everyone elses input.:D

i can see where this is headed, guys dont start a fight here. Not worth the forum space :)

audio, just because ur going what u think is 100 percent, i would look into caffeine or ginseng, u can always use that extra push. Im sure there is other supps to help give u a boost and im actually wondering what else is good (so i can use it :) ) someone please do tell :)

what are the steps you are taking to get there?

at your age, if you are a skinny guy and an ectomorph, you should be eating everything in site....especially protein...all day long.

evaluate your training, your diet, your recovery, your supplements, and see if they are in line with your goals.

if you train and eat properly and don't get enough rest or you get drunk every night or whatever...you are killing your efforts. (just an example)

you haven't provided enough specific info for anyone to tell you much of anything specific.

a journal is a great way to see what you are doing wrong and learn from your mistakes.

yes great info for him jerkbox. as for a food journal write out your own or jsut use www.fitday.com i find it very useful! then u can even post it on here and we can evaluate ur diet for you

Is getting enough sleep really that important? I hate sleeping, strang as that sounds, I usually only get 5-8 hours of sleep max every night. I'm never really tired, I start to feel really lethargic after I pass the 9 hour mark.

As far as my diet, I try to get in around 3000-3500 calories per day, mostly from lean meats, turkey, chicken and lots of beef. I have two servings of green vegetables per day and a sandwich or two. A normal day for me looks like this,

meal 1
3-4 whole eggs, or a cup of egg substitute
bowl of fiber one, or some other low gi, high fiber cereal

meal 2
i'm usually at school during this meal, so I run over to subway and get a turkey breast sandwich on wheat bread.

meal 3
1/2 - 1 lb ground beef patty, or some kind of red meat
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
green beans or mixed veggies

meal 4 (pre workout)
chicken, tuna, turkey, or some other meat w/ bbq sauce, couple slices of whole wheat bread, some kind of vegetable or fruit.

meal 5 (post workout)
protein shake, with yogurt or something hi gi.

meal 6
usually by this time of day i'm too lazy to cook so I eat alot of beef jerkey or something easy to make.

and thats about it, i eat like that 7 days a week. I eat my multivitamin in the morning, and use 250mg ala any time i have lots of carbs except for my post workout meal. I dont really count calories, i'm just trying to eat pretty cleanly and get around 3000-3500 cal/day. I rarely cheat, almost never drink, and i smoke weed occasionaly (i can keep my munchies under control :D ).

I train pretty simply too. I'm trying to stick with basic compound movements and build mass. I really dont have a set in stone routine yet, I just lift as heavy as I can for as many reps as i can.
A typical week for me would look something like this...

monday - chest
3 sets flat bench
3 sets incline bench
(sometimes i do these excersises on a smith machine since I dont have a partner)
3-4 sets pec dec or incline dumbbell flyes

tuesday - quads
6 sets squats (i do these on a smith machine right now, but i'm slowly incorporating free weights as I get more coordinated)
2-3 sets leg press or hack squat leg press
5 sets leg extensions

wednesday - off (15 mins Hiit cardio)

Thursday - Shoulders (I'm putting my shoulder workout on hold until I get my left shoulder checked out by a doc)
4 sets military press
4 sets arnolds
4 sets shrugs (high reps)

Friday - Upper Back
3 sets bent over bb rows
3 sets assisted pullups (I start with no assist, and then add only enough weight to keep going)
3 sets seated cable rows

Saturday - Lower Back, Hams, Calves, Forearms
4-5 sets deadlift
3-4 sets stiff leg dead lift
4 sets leg curls
5 sets standing calf raises
2 sets wrist curls (palm up and palm down)
2 sets static holds (I havnt started this yet but i'm thinking about adding it in)

Sunday - Off (15 mins hiit cardio)

thats about it
all input is welcome, even your's satch. Although, i think you were kinda rude, I still appreciate your opinion.

looking like you are on the right track....although I would say if your skinny and really trying to bulk up, add some more protein.
actually, I would up those calories all together and eat more carbs during the day....if you're not getting fat - EAT!

eat another high protein meal after your post workout workout shake, and some more protein like cottage cheese or something slow digesting right before bed. This is neccessary in my opinion.

your workout needs work as well.

ideally, I would say do some reading on these boards and reconsider all of it.

but, if you were to modify this one,

there are no triceps movements here anywhere, lose the flies on chest day and add in weighted dips, and skullcrushers.

6 sets of squats is a bit much....i would do no more than 5, and forget that Smith machine....its benefits are nothing compared to what real squats will do for you.

leg extensions are worthless for your goals....in fact, I would combine all legs movements into one day.

deads and stiffies on the same day - effort on one or the other is going to suffer

if you like this high volume kind of approach, i might look into the 5x5 thing.....and set up your split based on that. a lot of people like it.

and if you aren't tired enough to sleep 8-10 hrs.....you ain't training hard enough!

Top Bottom