Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do I maintain my weight?

Ttin

I was on diet for the last three months, and have reached the desired weight. I was in caloric deficit all this time by 500-700 cals per day, plus I did exercise. Now how do I calculate the calories to stay where I am? The calorie counter discounts calories for exercising – should I take that into account?

My bet would be to leave these calories aside, and stick to the maintenance calories. If you will notice weight gains, donwregulate the calories, and vice versa. It is really a matter of paying attention to yourself....and balancing things out.

Okay buddy, so my understanding of this is that you have done a successful cut, and are currently at a 500 or so deficit and want to maintain your lean mass without gaining back fat, correct?

IF so, you are a PERFECT candidate for reverse dieting! There is a lot of confusion about what this means, but basically it is slowly increasing calories in a way that boosts metabolism, so you will be able to increase the calories and stay the same weight or get even leaner! Depending on how far you push the cals, you can stay the same bodyfat % and gain a little muscle, or get a little leaner, depends how you do it.

I HIGHLY suggest you do a reverse diet man, I will give you an example... Lets say our example guy bob has a maintenance of 2700 cals, and has gone all the way down to 2005 cals on his cut!

His macros are 250Protein / 150Carb / 45Fat

He will start by increasing carbs by 30-50%. We will play this super safe, so his carbs go up by 33% to 200. You can also increase fats by 5-10g if needed here, we will increase bob's here by 5, and we will keep them at 50 for a while.

After 1 week, we will up the carbs by another 25g.

You will likely gain 1-2lb the first week from water and glycogen, and will likely LOSE some fat the second week from increased metabolism, depending how long you have been dieting and the state of your metabolism.

so week 1 we upped carbs 30% and added 5g fat, week 2 we upped by 25g carbs, now week 3 we will up by 25 carbs again. NOW you start paying attention to your weight! The first two weeks weight can go up or down due to big diet changes and water and glycogen! Now that your on week 3 watch the scale, take note every day of the direction its moving in.
NEVER change calories based on what the scale does in 1 day, but every week look at the weekly average of the way it is heading.

So recap a sec, first week we upped 30% carbs and 5g fat, week 2 was up 25g carb, and week 3 up 25g carb. the first three carb raises we do NO MATTER what the scale says, but now in week 3 we watch our weight and as long as we are not gaining fat, we can increase carbs again by 15-25. around week 4 or 5 I would start increasing by only 15g carbs OR 5g fat per week.

As soon as you start gaining weight (Actually gaining over the course of say 2 weeks), then drop back 25g carbs or so, and you have found your maintenance WHILE revving your metabolism through a proper reverse diet!

Sorry for the long sloppy post, I did my best to explain it! I hope this concept helps you buddy!

You don't have to follow my guidelines exactly - I will simplify it here.

1. increase carbs by 30-50%
2. increase carbs by 15-25g or fat by 5g every week
3. stop when you gain weight over a 2 week period.

Your old calorie maintenance is no longer your current calorie maintenance since you have lost a lot of weight. You are much lighter now then you used to be.

Calculate your new caloric maintenance (yes make sure to take in activity and energy expenditure into account). If you eat your new calorie maintenance you will stay the same weight. If you eat less, you will loose weight. If you eat more, you will gain weight. It's as simple as that.

O wow guys - thank you for so much information! I think it will take me some time to read it all and figure that out!

Top Bottom