Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to cook flounder?

aandd

I bought some flounder, but I"m not sure how best to cook it. Should I just bake it in the oven? Most of the recipes I found stuffed, rolled it, or breaded it... and I want to keep it as carb light as possible.

you could grill, pan fry (with some Pam), bake or broil it. Just have to watch it so that it doesn't dry out. Add your fav. seasonings too.

sublime35 said:
you could grill, pan fry (with some Pam), bake or broil it. Just have to watch it so that it doesn't dry out. Add your fav. seasonings too.

Thats how I would cook it.

flounder is similiar in texture and taste to sole and vaguely to halibut
so about any way you'd prepare those would apply to flounder

two of my favourite ways are:

1. almondine, either crust with almond flour or just sautee it in some butter, let the butter brown a bit, if not using almond flour, add sliced almonds, then alittle lemon juice, a splash of white wine and some parsely finish with sea salt and fresh pepper

2. ala nage, in a pan add alittle white wine, fish stock/clam juice/water to cover the fish, add julienned leeks, carrots, and celery, saffron and/or fennel bulb optional, a sprig of thyme, a pat of butter, sea salt and pepper, poach (just below a boil) till done with flounder that's a few minutes until the flesh gets white and flaky...serve in broth

there are many ways if you want different ways let me know i can suggest some asian flavours, italian, english, etc

Ahhhhhhhhh Obi!! Always a delicious response.....

Also: Take a piece of tin foil & fold it in half & spray with cooking spray. Place fish on 1/2 of the foil, season as desired (Mrs Dash, lemon juice, lime juice, pepper, etc) & fold the foil over.....folding the 3 sides to form a pouch & bake at 350 for about 20 mins....

jenscats5 said:
Grouper with Puttanesca Sauce

from Cooking Light Magazine....

4 (6-ounce) grouper or flounder fillets
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking spray
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
1/3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons capers
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)

Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
While fish cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic, oregano, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in olives and capers; cook 1 minute. Spoon tomato mixture over fish. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet, 3/4 cup tomato mixture, and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 238(18% from fat); FAT 4.8g(sat 0.8g,mono 2.5g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 35.5g; CHOLESTEROL 63mg; CALCIUM 142mg; SODIUM 736mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12g

I made the lazy Girl's version of this tonite for dinner using Tilapia fillets I bought at Acme -- $1 a pouch!!

Spray a glass baking pan with cooking spray. Lay the thawed filets in the pan -- I used 2 pouches -- 4oz each. Spray top of filets with cooking spray. Sprinkle with pepper, garlic powder, Mrs Dash Xtra Spicy & Mrs Dash Italian Seasoning. Spoon a couple spoonfuls of Canned Diced Tomatoes over the top of the fish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until fish is done @ 375 degrees F. Yum yum yum!!

jenscats5 said:
Again, Tilapia simply baked with lemon/lime juice, Cajun spice, pepper and/or any Mrs Dash flavors....be sure to spray the pan with cooking spray so it won't stick....

Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb is good & you could bake the fish with that & some veggie broth....

Tomato Herb Mrs Dash with some canned diced tomatoes....

Mrs Dash Extra Spicy + some broth or some of the Jalapeno Diced Tomatoes

Lemon Pepper seasoning + a little extra lemon juice or broth

Here's a recipe from M&F Hers this month that sounds good:

Snapper Vera Cruz

1/3 cup chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, minced or crushed
2/3 cup chopped, seeded fresh plum tomatoes (or canned diced tomatoes)
2 Tblsp minced fresh Jalapeno chili peppers
1/4 up finely chopped green olives (about 6 Queen Size)
1 Tblsp. capers
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tblsp water
2 snapper fillets, 6 oz each (or halibut or haddock)
1 whole lime
Cooking spray

Spray a medium frying pan with spray & place it over medium-high heat. Add onion & garlic & cook until tender, but not browned, approx. 3-5 minutes.

Add tomatoes, jalapenos, olives, capers, salt & water. Allow mixture to boil, cover pan, then reduce heat & simmer until tomatoes are slightly softened & warm, approx. 7-10 minutes.

Add fish to simmering sauce & squeeze juice of the entire lime over the fillets. Spoon some sauce on top, then cover pan & cook about 6-10 minutes until fish is no longer translucent. Serve immediately.

jenscats5 said:
Ahhhhhhhhh Obi!! Always a delicious response.....

Also: Take a piece of tin foil & fold it in half & spray with cooking spray. Place fish on 1/2 of the foil, season as desired (Mrs Dash, lemon juice, lime juice, pepper, etc) & fold the foil over.....folding the 3 sides to form a pouch & bake at 350 for about 20 mins....
thanks momma :heart:

Top Bottom