Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High Alkaline Diet?

MikeMartial

Initially, I posted this in the Martial Arts section; didn't get any hits, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience in this area...

---> Seems a lot of fighters these days are into this; in the recent issue of BlackBelt mag, Couture is quoted as saying:

"I'm taking some excellent new supplements and use a high alkaline diet with whole foods and a lot of grains..." Couture is known for his conditioning, and wouldn't fuck around and waste his time with garbage. At 42 years old, he just can't afford it.

A MMA school I train at has their professional fighters on a high alkaline diet. A lot of hype these days about it on other websites.

Initially, I thought it was just tree-hugger bullshit or a pure fad; after reading an article by Berardi here, I'm wondering if there's a significant benefit to it.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Heard the good, the bad? Other articles?

I have heard that a high alkaline diet will even out the extrmely high acidic human body. Many foods, emotions, stress, etc are very acidic to the human body. So by eating foods with high alkaline properties (you can also drink alkanalized water) you can fight off free radicals other dangerous toxins in the body this in turn will acually put your mind and body at "ease"
Does it help with fighting? Im not sure but logically i would say on a physical level yes because it cleans out your body of unwanted wastes, and allows you to think more clearly and motivationally. Howver, it seems as though alkalizing your body would get rid of emotions such as anger and agression which might aid in fighting:)

The theory behind an alkaline diet from what I have researched has a basis in fact. Looked into this quite a while back. It tries to reflect the natural slightly high alkaline of our body(higher pH). Folks on high protein diets can get this balance out of whack. As well as junk food(processed foods, but most of us in this lifestyle do not have that problem with regularity).

But anyway, this is why an intake increase of vegetables is warranted(increased mineral content), beans, and I am of the mind that an increase in mineral intake(potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc.) in the form of a supplement will probably be quite adequate.

Give it a try, post results :)

Unless you're preparing for a comp/tournament that's coming up or something and don't want to experiment with a different diet.

I don't follow a specific diet, but I use a lot of alkalizing supplements and foods, particularly wheatgrass/barley grass juices. I really think it makes a difference, seems to have helped with DOMS, which I was getting something wicked.

I don't hate many things... but I HATE DOMS! I'm going to have to investigate furthur now ;) Thanks MOM :)

for people reading on: DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

The only problem with this diet is it lacks the protein requirements needed by most on this board. Furthermore I was reading an article a few days back regarding the effectivness of managing ph with diet. The article was out of harvard medical school and stated that your body would not allow you to stay in an alkaline state due to its checks and balances. I agree with the antioxidant properties this diet can promote however modifications would need to be made to reach training goals. It is primarily a vegetarian diet so unless you want to eat a pound of tofu everyday I would incorporate some meat in order to achieve protein needs. Also many of the health promoting benefits are largely hypothesis and have yet to be proven.

Top Bottom