Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help! Need studies on high protein intake to reference!!!

StoneColdGold

can anyone either post studies or point me toward them that show protein intake in the 1g/lb of bodyweight neighborhood is both safe and effective?

my recommendations to a group of athletes is being criticized by someone with more letters after his name than i have. he agreed to shut up if i could bring him some "official" documentation on the subject backing up my stance. obviously, i can reference the doctors behind the zone diet, atkins diet, and some others, all of whom have years of science to back up their claims. but anything else will help.

Go to the diet board and do a search under MS or my name.

If nothing comes up, then i'll post some when I get time.

BMJ

That's a topic that can get many answers.. none of which will be backed with absolute certainty.
but why take chances and underfeed? especially when talking
about the main ingredient in muscle building (protein).

leancuisine said:
That's a topic that can get many answers.. none of which will be backed with absolute certainty.
but why take chances and underfeed? especially when talking
about the main ingredient in muscle building (protein).

i agree totally... unfortunately the guy i am dealing with is an ultra conservative certified athletic trainer. he sort of flipped when he saw what i'd recommended. i'm not terribly concerned with his opinion, but i'd like to put something in front of him that will force him to back off.

mrbmj... i will check the diet board. thanks.

Mr. BMJ... if you could post a few studies i would appreciate it. I've found a few demonstrating the benefits of .8 grams per pound.

What i'd really like is a study that shows no negative effects on the liver and kidneys.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2000 Mar;10(1):28-38 Related Articles, Links

Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?

Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O.

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....On average, the body builders consumed about 3,900 calories and 169g of protein per day (1.94g/kg) while the other group consumed 2,600 calories and 99g of protein per day (1.35g/kg). Some of the bodybuilders consumed a protein intake of up to 2.8g/kg.

Nitrogen balance (a measure of the amount of protein eaten minus the amount excreted) was positive in all athletes eating more than 1.26g of protein/kg but no different between groups.

Although some blood parameters (blood uric acid and calcium) were higher in the body builders, there was no correlation between protein intake and markers of kidney function (creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate).

The researchers concluded that protein intake under 2.8g/kg does not impair renal function. From the results of this study, there is finally evidence that high protein diets may not be harmful to the kidneys of healthy athletes. It appears that high protein diets are only harmful in those who have pre-existing kidney dysfunctions. Prior speculations that high protein intake would cause kidney damage appear unfounded...

High protein intake increases daily fat oxidation; effect of protein intake and physical activity on the 24 h pattern and rate of macronutrient utilization. Forslund, Anders H., Antoine E. El-Khoury, Roger M. Olsson, Anders M. Sj[diaeresis]odin, Leif Hambraeus, Vernon R. Young. aDepartment of Medical Sciences, Nutrition, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, bLaboratory of Human Nutrition, School of Science and Clinical Research Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APStracts 6:0023E, 1999.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Effects of moderate physical activity (90 min at 45-50% of VO2max 2 times daily) and _high_ (2.5 g protein _ kg-1 _ [delta]-1, n=6) or _normal_ protein intake (1.0 g protein_ kg-1 _ [delta]-1, n=8) on the pattern and rate of 24h macronutrient utilization in healthy adult men were compared after a diet-exercise-adjustment period of 6 days. Energy turnover (ET) was determined by indirect and direct (suit)calorimetry and "protein oxidation" by a 24h continuous iv infusion of [1-13C]leucine. Subjects were in slight positive energy balance during both studies. Protein contributed to a higher (22 vs10%) and carbohydrate (CHO) a lower (33 vs 58%) proportion of total 24h ET on the high vs normal protein intake. The highest contribution of fat to ET was seen postexercise during fasting (73% and 61% of ET, for high and normal respectively). With the _high_ protein diet the subjects were in a positive protein (p<0.001), and CHO balance (p<0.05) and a negative fat balance (p<0.05). The increased energy turnover post-exercise was not explained by increased rates of urea production and/or protein synthesis

Summary:
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of a high-protein intake compared with a “normal”-protein intake on energy substrate utilization (burning protein, fat or carbohydrate for energy). Fourteen men were placed on a standardized diet and exercise regimen for six days. Then, six of the men were placed in a “high-protein" group, lowering carbohydrate content from 58% to 33% (consuming 2.5 grams of protein per kilogram bodyweight) while eight were placed in a “normal-protein” group (consuming 1 gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight). All subjects exercised for 90 minutes each day on a stationary bicycle. On days when their blood was tested, subjects engaged in two 90-minute bike workouts. When comparing diets, the high-protein, lower-carbohydrate group used more protein for energy during exercise. However, there was no effect on total 24-hour protein utilization. Subjects on the high-protein diet used more fat for energy during exercise as well as during recovery and at rest, compared with the “normal”-protein group. In addition to burning fat for energy, subjects on the high-protein lower- carbohydrate diet were also in positive nitrogen balance, which prevents the body from breaking down body tissue, such as muscle.

Commentary:
The findings of this study can be applied to the Atkins Principle of Good Health. Consuming a diet higher in protein and lower in carbohydrate while exercising 90 minutes per day, subjects were able to stay in positive nitrogen balance. These subjects also used more fat for energy during exercise, during recovery and at rest than the “normal”-protein group.

Last semester my prof. for nutrition said that if there was any damage done to kidneys becuase of high protien intake it was most likely due to low water intake as protien requires more water to process, and can easily dehydrate you with out adequate consumption.

Top Bottom