Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ham and processed meats...good or not?

Ham and processed meats for dieting?

• Love it, good source of protein

Votes: 59 26.2%
  • Only the low fat kind

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • Only low sodium kind

Votes: 37 16.4%
  • Not for me at all

Votes: 111 49.3%

• Total voters
kiosk said:
Poll on your opinion of ham and processed meats for dieting

Avoid them like the plague.
Processed meats, even those listed as low-fat, are usually high in sodium and will also contain nitrates which is used as a preservative or as a colouring agent. In some cases, water is forced under extreme pressure into meats like ham to increase the volume of the finished product. You may see on some labels 'No Added Water' which indicates that it has not undergone this process.

If you are going to buy meat, of any kind, stick to fresh cuts.

KP--Fitness Basics

All are loaded with sodium, and processed meats should not even be considered in a diet . If you want meat for a sandwich cook a small turkey and carve it up or chicken tenders pounded thin and grilled are good in a wrap or low carb roll.

:p Be creative with your real meats!

wow, glad i read this section. I was quickly dropping fat until i started gorging myself on "fat free, overroasted turkey breast." normally im uberstrict, but felt this wouldnt be all bad. lol my bad, will stop that immediately seeing how my fat burning rate has seriously dropped in the last two weeks since i first endulged

KIAN said:
Avoid them like the plague.
Processed meats, even those listed as low-fat, are usually high in sodium and will also contain nitrates which is used as a preservative or as a colouring agent. In some cases, water is forced under extreme pressure into meats like ham to increase the volume of the finished product. You may see on some labels 'No Added Water' which indicates that it has not undergone this process.

If you are going to buy meat, of any kind, stick to fresh cuts.

KP--Fitness Basics

Just to add onto this, they are often loaded with brine as well as water. It's amazing how you can buy a nice size bit of meat cook it and watch it halve in size!!!

Processed lunch meats are an inferior source of protein at best, plus just by the word processed, additives we just don't need.

If I do eat this kind of stuff, I get it from the deli and watch them slice it right off the turkey for instance. Even this is rare, cause I don't know how they cooked the turkey.

Top Bottom