Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

growth hormone more important than insulin

N

nclifter6feet6

it seems about 99 percent or whatever of natural bodybuilders have to rely on carbs to get bigger or insulin from the carbs to gain muscle. but this thing about low carb high fat diets got me thinking. on low carbs growth hormone is higher than on a high carb diet. to have more growth hormone would seem like the right route too choose right????its like people on steroids that take growth hormone get freakeshly big and cut. im wondering over time does the more fat you take in the more growth hormone you could possibly be realeasing lets say around 300-400 grams of fat a day to bulk up. and i see alot of articles on how a high fat diet is better in terms of health than a carb diet, better for cholesterol heart and arteries ect.....it makes me think was this the way we were meant to eat afterall numerous articles say its better for health.

question...how does growth hormone build muscle as apposed to insulin growing muscle????????????????????????

i know people gonna whine and say but hey wheres the fiber. and ill say just take a fucken fiber pill :) simple. and the high fat and protien diet with a fiber suplement and a few multivitamin just might do the trick?????who knows but when i do the diet ill keep you posted

I will have to reserach it more but as far as I know insulin shoves nutrients into muscles and fat cells etc.

Growth Hormone doesn't act by itself, its usually working along side with testerone, IGF and other anabolic hormones. All of which are enhanced with a low carb diet.

info

Growth hormone stimulates tissue uptake of amino acids, the synthesis of new protein, and long bone growth. Growth hormone also spares plasma glucose by: opposing the action of insulin to reduce the use of plasma glucose, increasing the synthesis of new glucose in the liver (gluconeogenesis), and increasing the mobilization of fatty acids from adipose tissue. Anything that goes on in your body is in some way tied to growth hormone, therefore earning growth hormone the reputation as being the "fountain of youth".

Resistance training is the best natural stimulus for muscular growth and growth hormone secretion. Many weight-training programs have been developed over the years in an attempt to modify and manipulate this natural process, each with varying degrees of success. The truth is, the success of a program is often determined by its ability to elicit a specific hormonal response, and little else. In addition to exercise, adequate sleep can elicit growth hormone secretion.

It's what we athletes all want more of-or at least we should. Growth hormone (GH) is one of the most powerful allies that an athlete has, facilitating some of the most essential physiologic functions for athletic development and performance. Fortunately, there are several things that athletes can do to increase GH levels without acquiring any of the chronic side effects and risks associated with GH injections

Many Important FunctionsGrowth hormone is essential for the development of lean muscle mass. This makes it important for almost any sport, but especially for those requiring high power output for short periods, such as sprinting, strength training and football. It is also vital for athletes in sports requiring maximal power for longer or more frequent periods and for whom day-to-day recovery from training stresses is important. This includes swimmers, skiers, and soccer and tennis players.

GH also promotes the reduction of body fat. This function makes it important for all of the previously mentioned sports, as well as for some of the longer aerobic events, such as distance running and cycling. GH even has an effect on connective tissue, strengthening tendons, ligaments and cartilage. The combination of these actions makes optimizing GH an essential part of an effective training protocol. I consider it a priority for anyone wanting to increase strength, build muscle or just "lean up."

Growth hormone is a polypeptide hormone secreted intermittently from the anterior pituitary gland. The secretion of GH varies greatly depending on the time of day, with the highest levels observed at night during sleep. A number of environmental factors influence the amplitudes of these pulses throughout the day. Also, the bursts of GH release become smaller and less frequent as we age, making strategies to optimize GH even more imperative in the mature athlete.

The net effect of these actions is to switch the body to a fat-burning and protein-synthesizing mode. Many of these effects aren't direct, however. They are mediated by an important set of secondary hormones called insulinlike growth factors (IGFs). GH simultaneously stimulates the release of fatty acids for energy production, promotes the movement of amino acids into cells for protein synthesis and boosts the production of IGFs in the liver.
The role of GH in releasing IGFs is crucial, as they are very potent anabolics in their own right. Quite simply, GH helps your body to perform at its best.

How to Boost Your GH ReleaseExercise, nutrition, sleep patterns and supplementation can significantly alter GH release. An awareness of these factors allows you to incorporate them into your training regimen.Growth hormone secretion is responsive to a number of exercise stressors. Studies have shown that diverse types of training, such as resistance exercise, swimming and middle-distance running, can all elevate GH considerably. It now appears that this increased secretion is tied to hydrogen-ion concentrations, which are generated by lactic-acid production. Consistent with this, studies have shown that simply holding your breath or exercising in a low-oxygen environment can increase GH.

Optimize Your Workout DesignSo, for optimal GH production, you need a workout program designed to increase lactate levels through high-intensity, short-rest interval training. Studies on resistance exercise have shown little or no GH elevation when very light loads (more than 15 reps per set) are used. Similarly, when long rest periods (more than 3 minutes) are employed, very little increase in GH is elicited-even when you use heavy weights (less than 6 to 8 reps per set).

--------------------

haha I was right lactic acid is your friend :)

I'd like to add that

Insulin and GH are opposing forces. High insulin from carbs = low GH and vice verse. That's one fo the reasons why low carb diets are so anabolic and fat reducing. And eating carbs before bedtime is a big no no :)

Last edited:
GREAT ARTICLE, Coolcolj, great. Where did you find that article at??? It definitely goes with your current plan and the plan I outlined in "the ultimate fat loss plan" thread. Part of the reason why I recommend all anaerobic, high intensity exercise (sprint intervals and heavy lifting, lower reps and little rest) is to optimize GH. One thing that wasn't mentioned in detail was keeping carbs very low to increase GH, but it does at least get into insulin lowering it. One other supplement which is great to take on an empty stomach is Glutamine, studies show large increases in GH from taking it.

nclifter, that is the way humans have lived through most of our existance, w/ low carbs and higher fat intake, we are physiologically exactly the same, this is how we are meant to eat. Also, like I mentioned in my post, many bodybuilders back in the 50's and 60's built huge muscles eating a high fat diet of eggs and beef. Even guru Vince Gironda (considered way ahead of his time, original trainer to Arnold and MANY others) believed in a high fat/protein, low carb diet. Dave Draper talked about himself and other bodybuilders and the success they had of eating eggs and beef to pack on mass before the bullshit scares came about fat and heart disease, etc. I have to warn you that it may take time to adjust to the diet, especially with your current high carb diet, i'd taper down 100g per week until you get below say 50g per day, while increasing fat.

Before you all get excited about dietary and exercise induced hGH secretion, you should keep in the back of your mind several points.

The most obvious one is that pro BBs take a lot of all sorts of things, and they rarely use hGH wihout also taking insulin to compensate for the increase in insulin resistance that excess hGH and AAS causes. This allows them to eat MORE carbs without getting fat.

The second, without getting too much into the debate about what to eat when, is that most of the hGH increase you get post exercise and from low carb diets is a non-functional isoform and does not contribute to IGF-1 activity (which is the real muscle builder, NOT the hGH). In other words you get more hGH circulating after exercise and generally when insulin is low, but it does not contribute significantly to muscle growth. It can however act as an anti-catabolic (but so does insulin/glucose). In other words, not all endogenous hGH is the same. Going to sleep with low insulin levels will probably do more for your hGH/IGF-1 induced muscle growth than going without carbs all day long. This is because the hGH released when you drop off to sleep is functional in terms of IGF-1 stimulation.

Yeah but it still cuts the fat, and insulin tends to make you fat.
Well all i can say is I'm gaining size, strength, recovering and cutting fat faster than I ever have in my whole life following these guidelines. And I'm 31!

Low carb, weight traiing lactic acid and sprint combos are a godsend

I also sleep twice a day for the same reason - afternoon nap and big sleep at night :)

My body is bathed in GH :D

That afternoon nap may help with energy levels but it won't do anything as far as GH release. Your body must be in REM sleep before GH is released and you can't hit that type of deep sleep in a simple afternoon nap. It usually takes time before your body reaches REM sleep which is why it's always recommended that you get 8 hours of sleep per night. Not all of those 8 hours is REM sleep.

If you want to get as much natural GH release as possible then be sure to include heavy movements like squats and deads in your routine. They both have shown to promote substantially more GH release compared to other exercises.

I often reach REM when I nap.......so maybe 'nap' is not the right word for it. Call it a deep midafternoon sleep. I also wake up to pee several times each night, and I wonder if I get an anabolic surge of GH each time I drop back off to sleep? I dunno.

Those exercises/low carb diets raise the levels of the non-anabolic isoform of GH, NOT the IGF-1 inducing form. So like CoolColJ said, it's a great combo for fatloss, but by itself the exercise and low insulin levels are not gonna make you grow huge.

Top Bottom