Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ground Meat vs. Whole Meat

PwB

Anyone respond differently to ground meat vs. whole meat on a cutting diet. For example, say you are on a low carb, low fat, high protein diet for competition, anyone eat ground chicken, steak, turkey, etc. instead of it in it's whole form and notice a difference? Does it become less thermogenic, or would it be digestested better and more protein utilized than having it whole? I have access to a meat grinder and am considering not buying ground beef, etc., but buying lean chicken, turkey, top round/eye round steaks and grinding them so I KNOW they're low fat, and eating it like that. Rob Faigin said in NHE that ground meat is less thermic but with no real support, then Dr. Kinakin in a T-mag interview said that most protein isn't absorbed b/c of improper chewing, so I'd think grinding would allow better absorption.

At the very least, grinding would allow faster absorption. Possibly more absorption too. After all, something like hydrolyzed protein shakes are the fastest absobed of all. The addition of papain, kiwi juice or bromelain would also speed up disgestion. Of course, you could also just chew each mouthful 30 times to macerate it and get predigestion (via saliva) underway if you're not in a hurry. This will also help you develop a killer square looking jaw!!!

MS, thanx for the reply. Do you or anyone think this grinding will interfere with fat loss?? I know protein can have an effect on insulin and most of my meals are very high in protein. Perhaps it would be best to eat ground meats in the hours after a workout and eat it normally during other times to allow slower digestion during the day and faster during the post-workout hours.

Yeah, that would be my pick. Protein is just as important (more important) when cutting, BUT keeping protein absorption ineffiecient means you can shove more food down ya (feel more satisfied) than with efficient absorption. The hard thing is working out how much more protein you need if absorption is suboptimal. Adding lots of fiber or anti-nutrients (in other words stuff like fibrous veggies or soy protein) will also reduce your protein (and carb and fat) absorption. Again this is a two-edged sword. When cutting this allows more food intake and better feelings of fullness, not to mention the other benefits of eating plants. When trying to "bulk" this can be a right pain in the butt (in terms of appetite).

Top Bottom