Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

grams protein per pound bodyweight

How many grams of protein per pound of bodyweight do you eat on a bulking cycle?

• < 1 gram/pound

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 1 gram/pound

Votes: 58 22.1%
  • 1.5 grams/pound

Votes: 109 41.6%
  • 2 grams/pound

Votes: 51 19.5%
  • 2.5 grams/pound

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • 3 grams/pound

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 3.5 grams/pound

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4 grams/pound

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • > 4 grams/pound

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

snagglepuss

How many grams of protein per pound of bodyweight do you try to eat when on a bulking cycle? I have read anywhere from 1 gram/pound to 3 grams/pound. I thought I'd let elite "weigh in" on the issue (sorry for the bad pun :p )

In case it's not clear, you calculate grams/pound by dividing the number of grams of protein you eat in a day by your body weight. Take a 200 pound bodybuilder, for example:
200 grams of protein/day = 1 gram/pound (200/200 = 1)
400 grams of protein/day = 2 grams/pound (400/200= 2)
600 grams of protein/day = 3 grams/pound (600/200 = 3)

But, for a 175 pound guy:
200 grams of protein/day = 1.1 gram/pound (200/175 = 1.1)
400 grams of protein/day = 2.3 grams/pound (400/175= 2.3)
600 grams of protein/day = 3.4 grams/pound (600/175 = 3.4)

Just round up or down to the nearest 1/2 gram.

Last edited:
It all goes back to what school of thought you follow. Old schoolers will tell you that 1 gram per pound is enough. Alot of my buddies are pushing the 3.5-4 gr per pound threshold. I usually stick to the 2 if bulking (extra carbs) 3 if cutting. I also agree that it depends on what gear you're on.

GREGORY said:
Not again!

What's that supposed to mean?? If you don't like the topic, don't post something as brainless as, "Not again!" Just plain don't post at all.

These forums are for info gathering purposes so don't dog someone for using the forums for what they were intended!

Thanks to all the guys who responded constructively to my post! The reason I ask is that I've always stuck to 1.5-2 grams because I thought there was a limit to how much protein the body could absorb at any one time. However, I recently had a discussion with someone who suggested that (1) AAS can improve protein absorbtion and (2) increasing protein instead of carbs will help keep fat off while bulking.

It is 2 grams of protein per Kilogram of body weight, not pound. Big difference. 2 grams per pound of body weight can cause kidney problems.

Health Risks of Too Much Protein
There is no nutritional value in eating more more than the protein RDA if your body doesn't need it. Protein cannot be stored in the body and any excess protein is excreted. Furthermore, excessive daily protein intake (over 2g per kilo, per day) can overload the kidneys. High levels of protein in the diet are also associated with increased loss of calcium through excretion, which may be harmful for bones and increase the risk of osteoporosis in later life.

BD100 said:
It is 2 grams of protein per Kilogram of body weight, not pound.
Interesting. One of the articles I read in Flex magazine by Chris Aceto referred to grams/pound. I wonder if there are possibly two standards?

BD100 said:
There is no nutritional value in eating more more than the protein RDA if your body doesn't need it. Protein cannot be stored in the body and any excess protein is excreted. Furthermore, excessive daily protein intake (over 2g per kilo, per day) can overload the kidneys. High levels of protein in the diet are also associated with increased loss of calcium through excretion, which may be harmful for bones and increase the risk of osteoporosis in later life.

Thanks for the input! As a follow-up question, If the excess protein is excreted instead of being stored as bodyfat, wouldn't this mean that you stay leaner by eating more protein instead of carbs? In other words, let's say you only need 3000 calories/day (given your metabolic rate + calories expended in exercise, etc.), but you eat 3200 calories/day. If the excess 200 calories come from carbs, I think they would be stored as fat, whereas - if I understand you correctly - if the excess came from protein, they would just be excreted?

Last edited:
BD100 said:
It is 2 grams of protein per Kilogram of body weight, not pound. Big difference. 2 grams per pound of body weight can cause kidney problems.

You sound like a dietition. Did you get that out of your local libraries text book section?

Dr. Peter Lemon, the worlds foremost authority on protien, has dispelled these BS rumors in numerous scientific publications.

The most simple way to figure out how much protien the body can absorb is this. Go ask a pro BB how much protien he takes in. Most likley he will tell you somewhere between 2.5-4gms/LB of body weight. Then ask him what would happen to his muscle mass if he only took the RDA. Bye Bye Mr. O title! That's what!

And it has everything to do with what type of training you're doing, what gear your on and so on and so forth.

Sorry if this sounds like a flame, it's not intended to be, but you need to do some more homework.

Top Bottom